Young Wauwatosa resident performs in First Stage Children’s Theater’s production’s of THE WIZ
Young Wauwatosa resident Erin Stapleton will appear in First Stage Children’s Theater musical production of THE WIZ, playing at the Todd Wehr Theater through March 28.
Erin is 14 years old and has been acting since she was in second grade. She has been in a previous performance with First Stage, Harry Connick Jr.’s THE HAPPY ELF. “I loved the atmosphere, everything was very professional and it stimulated me as an actress,” said Erin. She wanted to have that experience again which pushed her to audition for First Stage’s most recent performance THE WIZ.
Erin’s favorite part about being a cast member in THE WIZ is the difficult choreography. “The dance numbers are so fresh and exciting, and I think the audience will especially enjoy the complexity of it,” says Erin.
In all First Stage productions, the young performer roles are double-cast –the Glitter Cast and the Gold Cast. Erin is a member of the Gold Cast, where she will be playing the role of a chorus member in THE WIZ.
Erin insists that people come and see THE WIZ because it is entertaining for everyone. “There is humor for adults, as well as children, which makes it consistently enjoyable for families,” says Erin.
“The theme of ‘journey’ is well-carried throughout the play and enhances the story line.”
THE WIZ is based on the timeless classic, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”, written in 1900 by L. Frank Baum, only with a more modern, soulful twist. Much of the plot from the book is similar, yet the characters are more contemporary that what most know from the book and its subsequent 1939 film. THE WIZ joins Dorothy and her friends Scarecrow, Tinman and the Cowardly Lion through their fabulous journey as they ease on down the yellow brick road in an urban land of Oz.
THE WIZ runs through March 28, 2010 at the Todd Wehr Theater in the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, 929 N. Water Street in downtown Milwaukee. For more information, please visit www.FirstStage.org or call (414) 273-7206.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Above the Town Present A Free Bluegrass Cabaret Concert
- Milwaukee Choristers to Hold Auditions
- Local Residents Participate in THE NERD at Sunset Playhouse
- Local Residents Participate in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST at Sunset Playhouse
- Young Wauwatosa Resident Appears in First Stage's Sherlock Holmes: The Baker Street Irregulars
- Friends and family celebrate debut of “Tourist Trapped”
- Drug discovery and genetic engineering: Science Café series scheduled
- Local Residents Perform At Sunset Playhouse
- Venus Rising from the Undertow, a film by Karen Lindholm-Rynkiewicz, seeks crowd funding
- Fairy Queen Fantasy