Spring is a great time to volunteer at the Milwaukee County Zoo. Animals are giving birth. The park is coming alive. See the Zoo behind the scenes and meet a fun group of more than 500 active volunteers in Zoo Pride, the Zoological Society of Milwaukee’s (ZSM’s) volunteer auxiliary. In 2010, you can join the party as Zoo Pride celebrates its 35th anniversary.
New Zoo Pride volunteers can get started quickly when they complete a two-day basic orientation on April 7 and 10. Please contact the Zoo Pride office at (414) 258-5667 by March 26 to schedule an interview.
• A two-session Basic Volunteer Orientation will be held April 7 AND April 10. This required introduction includes about five hours of training over two days. Volunteers who complete this training can join six of Zoo Pride’s 29 committees, including animal enrichment (which makes enrichment toys or activities for the animals) and special events (which helps at Zoo and Zoological Society events).
• A more extensive New Volunteer Training allows you to do more with Zoo Pride and serve on many other committees. This optional training will be offered April 14, 17, 21 and 24 (four sessions over two Wednesdays and two Saturdays).
Additional training is required to join the Animal Watch and VIP Guides committees. Members of the Animal Watch committee observe animals for studies and to assist zookeepers. VIP guides give behind-the-scenes tours of the Zoo. Volunteers do not work directly with animals.
Photo: A volunteer talks with young zoogoers in front of the orangutan exhibit. Photo by Zoological Society of Milwaukee/Richard Brodzeller.
The mission of the non-profit Zoological Society of Milwaukee, which celebrates its centennial in 2010, is to conserve wildlife, to educate the public about animals and nature and to support the Zoo. Please note: the Zoo celebrated its anniversary in 1992.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hart Park Fall Clean-up & Weed-out
- Chicago Bus Trip Planned
- Local Chiropractic Office Hosts Free Kids Nutrition Workshop
- Storytimes at Yo Mama! Frozen Yogurt and Goodies
- Local Chiropractic Office Hosts Free Workshop on Kids Nutrition
- AromaTouch Technique at Authentic Birth Center & Wellness Collective
- 10 Days In Tosa Celebrates Good Food & Good Times in Tosa!
- Medication Collection in Wauwatosa
- Esprit Poms & Dance Team to hold "Kicking Kar Wash" September 13th to raise funds for the SUSAN G. KOMEN BREAST CANCER Foundation.
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast calls for new Girl Scout members and volunteers to join in the fun