West Suburban Quilters' Guild presents "Art of Quilting Show" March 19th and 20th at Mount Mary College
The West Suburban Quilters’ Guild will present their biennial quilt show at Mount Mary College on Friday, March 19th and Saturday, March 20th, 2010. The theme of the show, “The Art of Quilting,” highlights the creativity and skills involved in making both traditional and contemporary quilts.
More than 300 member-created quilts based on various techniques will be on display. Visitors can shop 16 vendor booths and the guild's boutique of handmade sewing notions. There will be ongoing demonstrations of quilting techniques; “bed turning” presentations will examine antique and vintage quilts.
The show hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday; admission is $5. On Friday evening at 7 p.m. a special presentation will be given by award-winning art quilter Rachel Wetzler. Separate tickets for the evening program are $5 and are available at the door.
This quilt show also honors National Quilting Day that is celebrated on Saturday, March 20th this year. Established in 1992 by the National Quilting Association, the day highlights the traditions of quilt making and the contributions quilt makers have made to the art form, their families, and communities for many generations.
Carol Butzke, a Certified Appraiser of Quilted Textiles, will be on hand to appraise heirloom and modern day quilts. The fee is $40 per quilt. To make an appraisal appointment, visit the guild's website.
The first place prize in the guild’s raffle is a beautiful member-made quilt; the second place winner will receive a Bernina sewing machine courtesy of Bigsby’s Sewing Center. Raffle tickets will be sold at the show; the drawing will be held at 4 p.m. on Saturday.
Mount Mary College is located at 2900 North Menomonee River Parkway (Corner of 92nd Street and Burleigh St) in Milwaukee. The Quilt Show is held in the Alumnae Dining Room in Bergstrom Hall which is accessible via the east parking lot on 92nd Street. Campus maps and wheelchair accessibility information is available at mtmary.edu.
For listings of all quilt show activities including demonstrations and classes as well as membership information, visit www.wsqg.net.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local Chiropractic Office Hosts Free Kids Nutrition Workshop
- Storytimes at Yo Mama! Frozen Yogurt and Goodies
- Local Chiropractic Office Hosts Free Workshop on Kids Nutrition
- AromaTouch Technique at Authentic Birth Center & Wellness Collective
- 10 Days In Tosa Celebrates Good Food & Good Times in Tosa!
- Medication Collection in Wauwatosa
- Esprit Poms & Dance Team to hold "Kicking Kar Wash" September 13th to raise funds for the SUSAN G. KOMEN BREAST CANCER Foundation.
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast calls for new Girl Scout members and volunteers to join in the fun
- ESPRIT Poms & Dance Team Will Perform in DISNEY in 2015
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night