Sister Georgeann Krzyanawski, SSND, Mount Mary’s Director of Buildings and Grounds, carries on a 30-year tradition of making fruitcakes with tender loving care. Each 100-pound batch of the Mount Mary is carefully hand-mixed. “If we made them in a mixer, we’d need a paddle as big as an oar,” said Sister Georgeann. “These fruitcakes are truly hand-made. The recipe is simple and natural. The secret is all in the process,” she added.
Sister Georgeann began as an assistant to her predecessor, Sister Mary John Van Vonderen, SSND, who retired from the College and fruitcake making at age 95. Tom Schmitz, the College’s Food Service Director at the time, worked closely with Sister Mary John in developing the fruitcake making.
In 1989, Sister Georgeann assumed the duties as chief fruitcake maker and assembled a select team to sort, measure and mix her masterpieces. Although she does not have an exact count, over the years she has made thousands of fruitcakes. Last year, she made over 700.
Recipients rave about the taste and texture and many customers from all over the globe reorder every year. Fruitcakes have traveled to California, Pennsylvania, Washington, Hawaii and the Vatican.
In past years proceeds have funded various college improvements. In spring, 2008, College officials decided to use accumulated proceeds to endow the Sister Georgeann Fruitcake Scholarship. The first scholarship was awarded this fall to an adult student pursuing a degree in education.
Sister Georgeann’s rich, buttery fruitcakes are available to the general public again this year. They come in two sizes – a 1 lb fruitcake sells for $13 and a 2 lb fruitcake is $19.These prices are more affordable than popular mail order outlets which sell comparable sizes for $7-10 more per fruitcake.
Orders can be placed until December 14th by calling Mount Mary College at 414-258-4810, ext 333 or at http://www.mtmary.edu/news.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- All welcome at popular 'Pasta with a Purpose' in support of youth mission trip
- Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen 2015 – nominations being accepted
- Public invited to Imagine No Malaria with silent auction of 20+ handmade quilts
- WAUMC coffee house hosts Radio Rosies, quilt silent auction for Imagine No Malaria
- Bel Canto Chorus Travels on the Silk Road with the Orchid Enesmble
- Bel Canto Chorus 5th Annual Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Blowing in the Wind~ A Benefit Concert for C.A.R.S. (1)
- Book Talk and Q&A with Pam Ferderbar
- Locals Sing New Operetta
- Happy 10th Anniversary Hart Park Square!