What do leaves, trees, bugs and pond water have in common? All of these will be examined this Saturday by children as part of the National Garden Clubs Week celebration at the Elmbrook Nature Center.
“Exploring and enjoying natural habitat is what the Nature Center is all about,” said Judy Newman, the Elmbrook Garden Club’s liaison to the nature center. “The public is invited Saturday to experience and enjoy the habitat of the center and see what the excitement is all about.”
Families are invited to the 17-acre center from 10 am to 2 pm to take guided or self guided tours, or to participate in activities such as rock painting, leaf rubbings, collecting and examining pond water with microscopes and creating plaster of paris animal tracks. All tours and activities will be conducted by host organizations and members of the Brookfield East High School science staff. In addition, information will be available on constructing Aldo Leopold garden benches—and six will be raffled off to visitors during the event.
Nearly 2,750 children tour the center each year as part of science-related school field trips.
The Elmbrook Nature Center was developed in 1977 with a federal grant. The Brookfield Kiwanis Club and its partnering high school organization, the Brookfield East Key Club, were instrumental in the construction of the solar-heated visitor center in 1980. The two groups, along with the Elmbrook Garden Club, continue to be involved in the Center’s maintenance. The garden club celebrates its 50th anniversary this year as well.
The center is located behind Brookfield East High School, 3305 Lily Road, Brookfield. Visitors this Saturday should use the school’s north entrance and driveway that leads past the north soccer fields and west softball diamond.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Froedtert & the Medical College Receives Pulmonary Hypertension Care Center Accreditation
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Receives Customer Service Award
- SPARK Grant Awarded to Camp Ujima
- Blarney Run/Walk returns to Hoyt Park March 14
- You are invited to Esprit Poms' Pizzeria Piccola fundraiser - December 28th, 2014, 4-9pm
- Advanced Ear, Nose, & Throat Specialists Named Small Business of the Year
- Health Professionals Inducted to National Multiple Sclerosis Society's Volunteer Hall of Fame
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Kicks Off Click For Kids Online Toy Drive
- Wheaton Franciscan – Midwest Spine and Orthopedic Hospital and Wisconsin Heart Hospital Campus Emergency Department Receives 2014 Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award for Achieving 95th Percentile in Patient Experience
- McCarthy Grittinger Financial Group Announces New Partners