A Head’s Up That Could Save Your Life
Milwaukee, WI (April 1, 2010) – Uncommon but serious, cancer of the head and neck can take away things most people take for granted, like speech, eating, and appearance. Nationwide, it affects more than 35,000 people every year.
To spread awareness of the disease and encourage people to get screened, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin will provide free screenings on Wednesday, April 14, from 4-6 pm at the Clinical Cancer Center. Registration is required; call (414) 805-3666.
“A 10-minute screening could save your life,” said Bruce Campbell, MD, head and neck cancer expert at Froedtert & The Medical College Clinical Cancer Center. “In today’s difficult economy, people may skip their regular visits to dentists and primary care doctors, who often notice these early symptoms. That’s why we’re offering this free screening.”
Head and neck cancer includes cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, neck, vocal cords, sinuses, tonsils and salivary glands. The cancer is highly curable if found early.
“Unexplained changes such as a lump or bump in the tongue, neck or lip, or changes in swallowing, speech or breathing can be signs of cancer,” Dr. Campbell said. “Anyone, young or old, smoker or non-smoker, can get this disease.”
The Froedtert & Medical College Clinical Cancer Center is located immediately south of the Froedtert East Clinics, on Doyne Avenue between N. 87th and N. 92nd Streets. Free parking is available in the Clinical Cancer Center parking structure.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- All animal lovers welcome to WAUMC's blessing of the pets
- Drug discovery and genetic engineering: Science Café series scheduled
- Learn Your Working Style, Rule Your Universe
- Learning Never Ends...An Evening for Adults
- Researchers discover new gene responsible for traits involved in diabetes
- Locally Owned MOZZALUNA PIZZERIA & RISTORANTE is doing a Free Pizza Give Away on 9/25/14
- Treating post-traumatic stress disorder
- Operation Forward March to Benefit Wounded Warrior Project
- Callen Debuts Updated Website
- Nain Lutheran Church Celebrates 100th Anniversary