A Head’s Up That Could Save Your Life
Milwaukee, WI (April 1, 2010) – Uncommon but serious, cancer of the head and neck can take away things most people take for granted, like speech, eating, and appearance. Nationwide, it affects more than 35,000 people every year.
To spread awareness of the disease and encourage people to get screened, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin will provide free screenings on Wednesday, April 14, from 4-6 pm at the Clinical Cancer Center. Registration is required; call (414) 805-3666.
“A 10-minute screening could save your life,” said Bruce Campbell, MD, head and neck cancer expert at Froedtert & The Medical College Clinical Cancer Center. “In today’s difficult economy, people may skip their regular visits to dentists and primary care doctors, who often notice these early symptoms. That’s why we’re offering this free screening.”
Head and neck cancer includes cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, neck, vocal cords, sinuses, tonsils and salivary glands. The cancer is highly curable if found early.
“Unexplained changes such as a lump or bump in the tongue, neck or lip, or changes in swallowing, speech or breathing can be signs of cancer,” Dr. Campbell said. “Anyone, young or old, smoker or non-smoker, can get this disease.”
The Froedtert & Medical College Clinical Cancer Center is located immediately south of the Froedtert East Clinics, on Doyne Avenue between N. 87th and N. 92nd Streets. Free parking is available in the Clinical Cancer Center parking structure.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Stamp Show celebrates club's 125th year
- Up and Coming Website for Teen Moms
- CTSI funds ovarian cancer research
- The "LifeStory Memoir Writer's" Workshop
- Youth Basketball events hosted by WI Shooters
- Resume and interview workshop classes in October
- Annual Candlelit Stroll Offers a Time and Place to Share, Grieve, and Celebrate Life
- 2014 Holiday Folk Fair International to Host 5k Run/Walk
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers September 17 Panel Discussion on Creating an Outdoor Living Space
- Better breathing for sleep apnea patients