Why do children need vision screenings? Young children with vision problems often do not know that the way they see the world is not the way everyone sees it. They rarely complain. Yet vision problems affect 1 in 20 preschoolers. They also affect 1 in 4 school-age children.
Without early detection and treatment, children’s vision problems can lead to permanent vision loss and learning difficulties. Vision screenings help discover children who should be seen by an eye care professional for a complete eye exam. It is why trained volunteers are needed to conduct children's vision screenings in the Elmbrook and west suburban areas.
To become a certified Children's Vision Screener, you must participate in a 2 hour Vision Screening Training Workshop conducted by Prevent Blindness Wisconsin. The training will include:
• Vision screening procedures
• Referral criteria, established by Prevent
Blindness America, the nation’s leading
authority on vision screening
• Vision screening information about common
vision problems seen in children
• A training manual and handouts
and is designed to train community volunteers, school nurses, school personnel, public health professionals, and pediatric/family practitioner staff to conduct preschool or school vision screenings in your community.
The next Children's Vision Training Workshop conducted by Prevent Blindness Wisconsin will be held on Thursday, September 18, 2014 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am in the Elm Grove Community Room which is located in the lower level of the Elm Grove Library, 13600 Juneau Boulevard in Elm Grove Wisconsin. Attendance and active participation at this workshop will enable you to become a certified vision screener, a certification that lasts three years.
The cost to attend this informative workshop is free. Reservations are, however, required. To register, please call Prevent Blindness Wisconsin (414)765-0505 or e-mail: email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- How light therapy heals wounds
- Holiday Happenings on Vliet Street!!
- Holiday Folk Fair Producer to Help Fight Ebola
- CIGARMKE - KNOW YOUR LEAF - PART 1
- CIGARMKE LET'S GET LIT - FALL 2014 ON NOV. 8TH
- Local Businesses in Three Communities Band Together to Fight Hunger, Support New Berlin Food Pantry
- Our TreASures … Our Heart
- Cardiovascular and cancer researcher elected Fellow of the American Heart Association
- Mini Book Sale December 8th
- Parenting: Love and Logic