Harwood Place Little Free Library
Take a Book – Return a Book
A Little Free Library on Harwood Avenue is the latest project of the Harwood Place Smart Living Committee, which is made up of residents who are dedicated to conservation and sustainable living.
Harwood Place and Lutheran Home offer a full continuum of care to Wauwatosa and surrounding communities. Harwood Place provides assisted living and upscale retirement living. Lutheran Home provides rehabilitation services, skilled nursing, specialized memory care assisted living, adult day services and child care.
The Little Free Library at Harwood Place was developed from a suggestion to set up an exchange system for books being discarded from the resident library. The idea of expanding it to the neighborhood followed. As word spread that the committee was looking for someone to build the library, a monthly Rotarian magazine appeared which featured a story about Rotarians building them. A resident’s son is a member of the local chapter. He brought the idea of sponsoring the library to their board and they quickly voted to finance and build it. The residents on the committee were delighted!
Smart Living Committee members Al Batzner, Sharon Braun, Pauline Bruss, Joan Deardorff, LaVerne Ferguson, Marialyce Gove, Carolou Nelsen, Mary Alyce Radowski, Clayton Ryder, Marge Sommerfeld, and Betty Sydow worked with Rotarians Gregory Block and Steve Radowski to complete this project.
The Little Free Library at Harwood Place was celebrated with an Open House on Saturday, August 23.
You can read more about Little Free Libraries at www.littlefreelibrary.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Free Financial Wellness Classes!
- Wauwatosa Night at the Milwaukee Bucks
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Kicks Off Click For Kids Online Toy Drive
- Wheaton Franciscan – Midwest Spine and Orthopedic Hospital and Wisconsin Heart Hospital Campus Emergency Department Receives 2014 Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award for Achieving 95th Percentile in Patient Experience
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips For Last-Minute Home Winterization
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Free Jumping at Sky Zone with Food Donation
- Researcher to investigate effective health information technology implementation
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation