Harwood Place Little Free Library
Take a Book – Return a Book
A Little Free Library on Harwood Avenue is the latest project of the Harwood Place Smart Living Committee, which is made up of residents who are dedicated to conservation and sustainable living.
Harwood Place and Lutheran Home offer a full continuum of care to Wauwatosa and surrounding communities. Harwood Place provides assisted living and upscale retirement living. Lutheran Home provides rehabilitation services, skilled nursing, specialized memory care assisted living, adult day services and child care.
The Little Free Library at Harwood Place was developed from a suggestion to set up an exchange system for books being discarded from the resident library. The idea of expanding it to the neighborhood followed. As word spread that the committee was looking for someone to build the library, a monthly Rotarian magazine appeared which featured a story about Rotarians building them. A resident’s son is a member of the local chapter. He brought the idea of sponsoring the library to their board and they quickly voted to finance and build it. The residents on the committee were delighted!
Smart Living Committee members Al Batzner, Sharon Braun, Pauline Bruss, Joan Deardorff, LaVerne Ferguson, Marialyce Gove, Carolou Nelsen, Mary Alyce Radowski, Clayton Ryder, Marge Sommerfeld, and Betty Sydow worked with Rotarians Gregory Block and Steve Radowski to complete this project.
The Little Free Library at Harwood Place was celebrated with an Open House on Saturday, August 23.
You can read more about Little Free Libraries at www.littlefreelibrary.org.
- MFHS Art at State Fair This Summer!
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: May schedule
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) to host “New Approaches to Sustainable Health Care Costs” at monthly breakfast meeting
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin, MCW and UWM to host Milwaukee Quick Pitch event
- Parenting Tip: Cleaning with Kids
- Charity car wash to raise money for Mental health
- Community leaders celebrate 40 years of MACC Fund
- Asanas for Support: Endurance Yoga Challenge Takes Aims at Lung Cancer
- Wauwatosa West students, teacher recognized for Stock Market Game Challenge
- Wauwatosa West High School Students Win National Financial Competition Again!