It’s getting to be that time of summer where college students across the country prepare to head back for another school year and move into their new apartments for fall semester.
Whether you’re living alone for the first time or moving in with roommates, it’s important to understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and review the lease again prior to moving in.
An apartment lease should always include:
Specifics on how all maintenance and repair concerns are handled and who is held responsible in the event that something breaks or needs repaired
When rent is due, the amount and exactly what it covers, such as any utilities
The conditions of your security deposit and how you are able to receive the full refund upon moving out
Notice about whether pets are allowed and information pertaining to any pet deposits and associated fees
To help protect yourself when moving in:
Document your apartment’s move-in condition. Note each and every flaw or defect on your move-in condition form, so that you aren’t held responsible for those damages later.
Take photos of your unit prior to move-in, so that you have documentation available if a dispute were to arise between you and the landlord after moving out.
Keep a copy of your lease in a safe place that can easily be referenced.
If you are searching for last minute living arrangements, be able to identify the red flags of a rental scam:
The deal sounds too good to be true.
The landlord is located elsewhere and prefers to only communicate via email.
The landlord requires a substantial deposit before handing over the keys or even showing the property.
The landlord asks the renter to wire money through services such as Western Union or Money Gram.
For an online version go to www.bbb.org/wisconsin
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Abby Thompson will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- St. Margaret Mary School to Donate 13,200 Pounds of Food
- Richard Kohlmann Named Beverage Manager at Western Racquet Club
- Area Students Perform in Miracle on 34th Street at Sunset Playhouse December 4th through December 31st
- Acclaimed actor Michael York to keynote amyloidosis event
- YOUNG WAUWATOSA RESIDENT APPEARS IN FIRST STAGE'S RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Honors Barry Mandel With the “Building Milwaukee” Award
- Local Businesses Collect, Deliver More than 4,000 Pounds of Food to New Berlin Food Pantry
- TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BUYING A HOME