Archbishop of Milwaukee, Jerome Listecki, conducted mass at Harwood Place last week. The Archbishop made his way to Harwood Place after a Catholic resident began communicating by letter with the diocese. After describing her home and the Catholic community at Harwood, she welcomed the Archbishop to see for himself. On Friday, July 11, residents had the honor of receiving the Archbishop for mass.
After mass, the Archbishop greeted each resident and enjoyed a reception which included traditional Polish foods by Harwood’s Executive Chef. “We were hoping to have even greater ecumenism at Harwood Place and we succeeded!” said Harwood Place resident Eileen Bartz. “All faiths were very welcoming of the Archbishop and there is great Christian unity and cooperation in our community,”
Because of its ties to the Lutheran Home, people often mistake Harwood Place as exclusively Lutheran faith based. Today both the Lutheran Home and Harwood Place serve as many Catholic residents and clients as Lutherans.
Harwood Place land offers a rich history, including originally being owned by Charles Hart in the 1830s.The land divided and changed ownership until 1923 when the Lutheran Children’s Friend Society built the Kinderheim, a Lutheran Children’s Home. Harwood Place, founded by a joint venture between Lutheran Home and Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, opened its doors in December of 1989. Now solely under the ownership of the Lutheran Home, Harwood Place fulfills the need for a retirement living community as a part of their continuum of care.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Save Our Neighborhoods
- Froedtert Hospital Foundation Names Board Chair
- Work At Home Scam Targets College Students
- January is Radon Action Month--Know Your Home's Radon Level
- From Hollywood to Holy Wood!
- Ann Massaro, Brookfield Native and Brookfield Central High School Graduate, Joins Ameriprise Financial
- Member Companies Provide Support to Home Improvement Show
- The Challenge of Moving from a Home you Love
- Trinity UCC Jazz Worship & Luncheon
- Can social networks improve rates of treatment for HIV?