The Milwaukee Choristers (milwaukeechoristers.org) will hold auditions for new members on Wednesday, August 27 starting at 6:30 p.m. at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church (1529 Wauwatosa Avenue, Wauwatosa). Appointments are recommended and can be made by calling 414/354-1933 or emailing email@example.com. Walk-ins also are welcome and will be heard when the schedule permits. Basses and tenors are particularly encouraged to audition.
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., director of choral activities at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, has been conductor of the Choristers since 1993. He will conduct the private auditions and advises that no prepared material is necessary, although knowledge of music and/or previous choral experience is beneficial. Dr. Kinchen will ask the candidates to sing a familiar song and sight-sing a simple melody. He also will test vocal range and evaluate tonal memory.
Singers accepted will join the Choristers in weekly Wednesday evening rehearsals at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church beginning on Wednesday, Sept. 4. Details and additional advice about the audition process are available on the Choristers’ website – milwaukeechoristers.org.
The Choristers began in November 1933 when 20 graduates of Milwaukee’s Riverside High School A Cappella Choir decided to keep rehearsing and performing together. Their high school conductor, Ellen Sargeant, agreed to direct them, and the rest is history. The chorus is one of the area’s oldest performing arts groups and has 75 members from nearly two dozen area communities.
- MFHS Art at State Fair This Summer!
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: May schedule
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) to host “New Approaches to Sustainable Health Care Costs” at monthly breakfast meeting
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin, MCW and UWM to host Milwaukee Quick Pitch event
- Parenting Tip: Cleaning with Kids
- Charity car wash to raise money for Mental health
- Community leaders celebrate 40 years of MACC Fund
- Asanas for Support: Endurance Yoga Challenge Takes Aims at Lung Cancer
- Wauwatosa West students, teacher recognized for Stock Market Game Challenge
- Wauwatosa West High School Students Win National Financial Competition Again!