Watertown Plank Road between Juneau and Legion will be host to the 2nd Annual “On-Street” Classic Car and Motorcycle Show as part of “Cruisin’ the Grove” on Sun., Aug. 3 between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The event will benefit the Milwaukee Heat youth wheelchair basketball team, a program that is available to kids age 7 to 21 as long as they are still in high school and have significant neurological disabilities that affects mobility, coordinated movement, strength, or endurance. Milwaukee Recreation and IndependenceFirst collaborate to provide this opportunity. In 2013, the Milwaukee Heat finished 7th in the nation.
All makes and models of classic cars and motorcycles can register for the Show between 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., with entrance at the corner of Watertown Plank Rd. and Juneau Blvd. There is no fee to participate, but a tax-deductible donation to benefit the Milwaukee Heat is encouraged.
To be held rain or shine, dash plaques will be given to the first 100 registrants, with the first 250 registrants receiving an event “goodie bag.”
The Hagerty Youth Judging Program is open to youth ages 8-14 and is designed to get young people more involved in classic cars by interacting with owners and their cars. The youth judging team will be working with mentors and judging six selected cars from the show. The program, which will last approximately 90 minutes, is offered free to the first 15 children that register. Youth Judging program registration will be from 11:00 a.m. until noon, with youth judging running from noon until 2:00 p.m. at the Silver Bullet Display. For more information or to register, call Woller-Anger & Company at 262-789-2500.
The Show will award nine participant awards (first – third in car and motorcycle and fourth – six combined), with two Committee Choice awards and one Young Gun award, and one Youth Judge award. Captain Bob and Arlo, hosts of the Wisconsin Hotrod Radio Show, will serve as judges, plus play music during the event.
In addition to the display of cars and motorcycles, the free admission event will feature a vendor/sponsor area, door and raffle prizes including a Cruisin’-themed quilt raffle, and food and beverages available for purchase from local restaurateurs.
New attractions in 2014 include an appearance by Stan Johnson’s Silver Bullet, the well known drag race car from the mid 1960s that was originally designed and constructed in Brookfield. The Silver Bullet was raced and exhibited from 1965-69, during which time it held quarter-mile records and won numerous “best engineered” awards. The car, which was sold in 1969 to a new owner from Canada, was lost, dismantled, and parts of it were found many years later at a Canadian swap meet by a new owner. Through much research, the Silver Bullet and the original designer/builder Stan Johnson were reunited in fall of 2012. Johnson then began the task of restoring the car back to its original condition.
The 2014 Bikes of the Milwaukee BUILD Program will also be on hand. A not-for-profit educational organization dedicated to pairing teams of high school students with bike-building mentors, the program is a collective effort to learn valuable life and interpersonal skills while restoring vintage motorcycles.
The following companies are serving as event sponsors:
• Woller-Anger & Company, LLC
• Silver Spur Texas Style BBQ
• Patched Works Quilt Shop
• LeCakery Cafe, Bakery & Pizzeria
Business Community Sponsor:
• Elm Grove Business Association
• Closet Concepts, LLC
• Direct Hobbyist Lifts, R.I. Bangle & Sons, Inc.
• Elliott’s Ace Hardware
• Elmbrook Voice
• Elm Grove Park and Shop
• Fazio’s Sweet Moments, Sweet Life
• Foti Chiropractic
• Imperial Hair Care
• Johnson Bldg. at 780 Elm Grove Road
• Kopp’s Frozen Custard
• LaBlanc Chiropractic Whole Body Health
• Leonard Auto Body
• O'Donoghue's Irish Pub
• Paralyzed Veterans of America, Wisconsin Chapter
• Pro-Tech Glass
• Ray's Auto Service
• Ron Sonntag Public Relations, Inc.
• Schlossmann’s Motorcycles of Milwaukee
• Ten 2 Communications, LLC
• Wine Cellar of Wisconsin
• Deluxe HD Restorations
• Great Harvest Bread Company of Elm Grove
• Hal’s Harley-Davidson
For more information, including registration, visit www.Facebook.com/CruisinTheGrove, call Bob Anger or Dan Riedel at 262-789-2500, or e-mail CruisinTheGrove@gmail.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Youth Commission helps Kyle's Corners
- Adolescent patients needed for study on pain
- Care and quality of life for older, rural HIV-positive adults
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- Tosa East Junior Achieves Eagle Scout Award
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th