The third annual Summer Nights music series is about to get under way at Luther Manor starting June 19.
The first act to be featured in the free three-show series is Padre and the Prodigals, a quartet of Luther Manor employees formed just to play this event.
Fronting the group is Luther Manor’s Director of Pastoral Care Dave Patterson, the Padre, whose previous performance experience includes mostly church functions. Patterson was first approached about the idea of creating an employee-band after he and another employee, security officer Ron Harris, collaborated for a Martin Luther King Jr. Day service. Patterson sang and played rhythm guitar and Harris, a percussionist, played the African djembe drum. Patterson has been playing for 40-plus years and Harris about 20.
“A staff member heard Ron and I singing and asked if we would play for Summer Nights,” he said.
He took the idea a step further, extending the invitation to two other Luther Manor employees – Marc Powers and Mark Mrozek, who work in the Health Care Center and assisted living areas, respectively. Powers, who plays rhythm guitar, and Mrozek, a pianist, are also lifelong performers.
“I know they are very talented musicians so I had to ask them to join the band, too,” Patterson said.
Patterson described the group’s sound as “more easy listening,” but nevertheless eclectic.
“We each choose a couple of songs of our own and all join in together for others,” he said. “It’s going to be a mix of different styles of music: from classic jazz to blues, and a little bit of country.”
Harris, who also performs with the Stevie Wonder tribute band “As I Wish” and the funk band, Nutha Level, called the set list a “smorgasbord of music.”
“It should be a nice night to enjoy some music and some fellowship,” Patterson said. “You may even find yourself tapping your toes and singing along.”
The event begins at 5:30 p.m. with music from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Terrace parking lot. Some seating will be available, but feel free to bring a favorite lawn chair. There is no need to RSVP. For more information on this or other upcoming events at Luther Manor, please contact Client Relations at (414) 464-3880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents former Navy SEAL, Jeff Boss, leadership coach specializing in adaptability