Chances are, you know someone with celiac disease. What you may not understand is how it affects him or her on a daily basis.
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that is triggered by eating gluten, which often means having to eliminate traditional bread, pasta and baked goods.
Finding food without gluten that tastes good is a challenge for those with celiac disease, and it was the impetus for Milwaukee entrepreneurs Casey Lanto and Ryan Konicek to create a startup known as Pairdd. (www.pairdd.com)
Pairdd combines easy-to-make recipes with gluten-free ingredients and ships them via free overnight shipping right to customers’ doors – anywhere in Wisconsin. Each shipment includes the gluten-free ingredients (even seasonings) needed to prepare a meal in 30 to 40 minutes.
Ingredients are pre-measured and labeled.
Prices vary depending on recipe and number of servings. Past recipes have included Walnut Crusted Salmon, Fried Chicken and Brussels Sprouts, and Arugula and Goat Cheese Flatbread.
“We take the hassle out of gluten-free meal preparation by identifying taste-tested recipes, providing step-by-step instructions for how to prepare delicious gluten-free meals in your own kitchen, and making sure you have the right ingredients by doing the grocery shopping for you,” Lanto said. “It's more convenient and affordable than if customers had to buy all the ingredients.”
Customers say that not only does Pairdd eliminate the hassle of shopping for reasonably priced gluten-free ingredients, but they’ve learned a lot about how to successfully cook other dishes gluten-free.
“I haven't missed a week,” says Julie Corbin, a customer from Lannon, Wis. “The produce is washed, the ingredients measured, and much of the prep work is done. It's so convenient! I was shocked to find that I could make a delicious gluten-free meal in such a short time.”
The name Pairdd was chosen because each box “pairs” recipes and ingredients.
If you would like to find out more about celiac disease during May, which is Celiac Awareness Month, check out the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness at www.celiaccentral.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Concordia University to host community thought leaders series
- Callen Earns Esteemed 2015 Angie’s List Super Service Award
- CigarMKE - Know Your Leaf
- R.A. Smith National’s Mike Bach Promoted to Project Manager
- White House of Music Launches Non-Profit Foundation
- MCW researchers discover ancient cellular mutation leading to multi-celled organisms
- Break Out of the Winter Blues – and Heat Things Up – at Valentine’s Day!
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Callen Receives 2015 Pulse of the City Customer Service Award
- MCW to host renowned nutrition expert at heart health conference