Milwaukee – Saint Francis de Sales Seminary ordained six new priests on Saturday, May 17, at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. This brings the total ordinations over the last 10 years to 47.
“Ordination is about forming happy, healthy, holy priests more than it is about the numbers,” said Fr. John Hemsing, rector. “We have a rigorous entry process and challenging formation program. The statistics provide one way for us to tell the southeastern Wisconsin community we serve that the process is alive, well, growing and working.”
“This ordination class nicely reflects the multiculturalism of the communities we serve,” said Fr. Hemsing. “The Archdiocese of Milwaukee serves diverse people of many cultures and languages. The Seminary is forming priests who can meet specific needs.”
Those ordained included: Rev. John Spencer Gibson age 27 of Shorewood, Rev. Justin Lawrence Lopina age 32 of Pewaukee, Rev. Jose Mario Nieto Restrepo age 31 of Cereté, Colombia, Rev. Nathaniel Joseph Miniatt age 26 of Cadott, Rev. Peter Patrick Wamugi Kimani age 39 of Nairobi, Kenya and Rev. Gideon Kamwina Buya, age 30 of Mombasa, Kenya.
Saint Francis de Sales Seminary prepares men for the priesthood in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee as well as other Wisconsin dioceses. Founded in 1845, the Seminary, for more than 150 years, has formed more than 4,000 priests for the local priesthood.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Chicago Bus Trip Planned
- Early detection of Alzheimer’s disease
- CigarMKE Event on Nov. 8
- Holiday Folk Fair to Help Celebrate Italian Heritage Month
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Adds 15 Members
- Wauwatosa Actor in Acacia Theatre’s Humorous “Fish Eyes"
- Young Life Wauwatosa at Pizzeria Picola and Yo Mama's!
- MCW researcher to develop methods to optimize virtual tools for nasal surgery
- Christmas in the Grove Nov. 7-8
- Massachusetts Book Artist To Speak at UWM Oct. 21