Barbie Izquierdo, National Hunger Advocate, Will speak at 9:45 a.m. Education Hour
As part of St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church’s Celebration Sunday on June 1st, we will welcome Barbie Izquierdo, who will share her struggle with food insecurity and the ways in which she is using her voice to end hunger in this country. Barbie, a young mother of two children, is featured in the movie, A Place at the Table, which explores the problem of hunger in the US.
Barbie is a national speaker, who has spoken at the White House, the US congress, and national conferences on hunger and advocacy. She is the featured speaker at the ELCA Greater Milwaukee Synod Assembly this year on May 30th. We are fortunate to have her extend her stay in Milwaukee to share her story with us during the education hour, 9:45 - 10:45, on June 1st.
Reflecting on her experiences, Barbie has said:
But being able to go through all of that and still be able to stand as a person, whether I’m ashamed at times or not, whether I’m embarrassed at times or not, I can still say that I got through it. That’s why I do what I do, why I chose to share my story.
Barbie is a gifted and eloquent speaker with an important message. We hope you’ll come to hear her on June 1st during the education hour. Parking is available in two parking lots on the west side of the building; main entrance is through the center doors on west side from parking lot.
Following the Education Hour, stay for 11:00 worship, which will feature rhythmic-inspired jazz music. And finally, a picnic will be held outside in the west parking lot. It’s a celebration to joyfully begin summer, welcome new members and give thanks for our blessings and rejoice in the spirit-filled community that is St. Matthew’s!
St. Matthew's Ev. Lutheran Church is located at 1615 N. Wauwatosa Ave., Wauwatosa. See our website: www.stmattslutheran.org
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Catey Ott Dance Collective: 3rd (i) EYE Conscious
- The State of Senior Health: Where Wisconsin Made Strides, and Where We Need to Improve
- EveryBODY Plays! MCW to host adaptive sports and recreation expo
- The Energy for Life walk Milwaukee to benefit the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation will be held on September 26th at Greenfield Park
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Declaration for Donations Blood Drive
- Internet Safety Month is a Reminder to Check Children’s Online Activities
- 25 Reasons Why Cotter Consulting Loves Milwaukee
- Imagine More Dinner to raise funds, awareness for neuroscience research
- Thankful for a tobacco-free Dad
- Encouraging Independence to help Unlock your Child’s Potential