International Expert Baruti Kafele to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
Baruti Kafele, award-winning principal and author of the best-selling book Closing the Attitude Gap, will speak at Alverno College on June 19. His keynote address is part of a two-day conference on school transformation and character education entitled “Step Up to the Plate for Character.” Kafele has been on the front lines of school transformation through character education, and is credited with the turnaround of four New Jersey schools. He frequently speaks on transforming the attitudes of at-risk student populations in America.
Day two of the conference will feature a keynote address by Ed Dunkelblau, PhD, Director of the Institute for Emotionally Intelligent Learning in Illinois. He is known internationally for his expertise in social emotional learning, Safe Schools programming and humor in education.
The 10th annual character education conference will include breakout sessions led by national and local experts in the field. Some of the topics covered include service learning, anti-bullying, improving learning, and building character and leadership skills. School administrators, counselors, K-12 teachers, pupil services professionals, coaches, school board members, parents and community leaders are encouraged to register. A half-day registration option is available for those who don’t wish to attend the conference, but would like to hear Kafele speak. The conference is sponsored by Alverno College, the School District of South Milwaukee and the Wisconsin Character Education Partnership (WCEP). For more information or to register, please visit www.alverno.edu/characterconference.
About Alverno College
Alverno College, a four-year independent, Catholic, liberal arts college for women, exists to promote the personal and professional development of its students. The college has earned accolades and respect internationally for its highly effective ability-based, assessment-as-learning approach to education, and has consulted with three U.S. presidential administrations on accountability and outcomes in higher education. For the last four years, Alverno College was ranked one of the top three schools in the Midwest doing “the best job of educating undergrads” by U.S. News & World Report. Educators from throughout the world visit Alverno to learn about its proven, student-centered teaching methods.
Alverno offers more than 35 major program areas of study, including graduate programs in education, nursing, community psychology and business that are open to women and men. For more information about Alverno, visit www.alverno.edu or call 414-382-6100.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents former Navy SEAL, Jeff Boss, leadership coach specializing in adaptability