MCW Receives Grant from National Cancer Institute to Develop Novel Cellular Immunotherapy
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) has received a five-year, $1.6 million grant from the National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) National Cancer Institute to support development of novel immune cell-based therapies to cancer.
Subramaniam Malarkannan, Ph.D., associate professor of hematology and oncology at MCW and senior investigator at the Blood Research Institute, BloodCenter of Wisconsin, is the principal investigator of the grant. Research in the Malarkannan laboratory focuses on understanding signaling pathways in Natural Killer (NK) cells, a major immune cell type that is potent in killing tumor cells.
“This NIH funding will help us to vastly improve our current therapy through a unique genetic modification of the NK cells,” said Malarkannan. “Through our work, BloodCenter of Wisconsin and MCW will be recognized as leaders in novel cellular therapy programs in the nation.”
Inflammation is an important component of the immune response, but it can also be detrimental to health if the inflammatory response is uncontrolled or prolonged. Mechanisms that trigger the release of inflammatory mediators—halting that process at the appropriate time-- are largely unknown. The Malarkannan laboratory has recently identified biological molecules responsible for the production of inflammatory mediators in NK cells. This grant will fund efforts to devise strategies specifically targeting these molecules to reduce inflammation, while preserving the beneficial cytotoxic function of immune cells in diseases such as cancer.
The results of this project may improve the effectiveness of current cancer therapies and offers novel interventions applicable to other conditions associated with acute or chronic inflammation.
This project is supported by NCI grant 1R01CA179363.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MCW-Green Bay receives $250,000 Impact Grant from the Green Bay Packers Foundation
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Pregnancy and Chiropractic
- C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook Maintains Summer Momentum, Donating More Than $500 to Schools
- "In Your Eyes: The Animal/Human Connection"
- Enroll Now For Free Welding Training
- Dental Exam Often Overlooked as Part of Prenatal Care
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- Callen Construction Suggests Kitchen Upgrades for Easier Cooking and Cleaning
- Brighter Economic Prospects Brings Greater Focus on Cash Flow, Efficiency
- Join Milwaukee Art Museum and Kohl’s Art Generation’s Story Time This Weekend with Guest Author Susan Verde