Readers of the Milwaukee Journal’s Green Sheet will remember the city’s own advice columnist and, for more than 50 years, Wisconsin’s best-known journalist. Ione Quinby Griggs is the subject of the Wauwatosa Historical Society’s Speakers’ Series at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 13, at the First Congregational Church, 1511 Church St. in Wauwatosa.
Authors Genevieve McBride and Stephen R. Byers, professors at major Milwaukee universities, will talk about their new book, "Dear Mrs. Griggs: Women Readers Pour Out Their Hearts in the Heartland.
They say the legacy of five decades of letters and Mrs. Griggs’ common-sense replies offer insight into the lives of the letter writers as well as the times.
McBride and Byers were reporters for the Journal, from which Griggs retired in 1985. She died in 1991 at the age of 100.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents former Navy SEAL, Jeff Boss, leadership coach specializing in adaptability