Readers of the Milwaukee Journal’s Green Sheet will remember the city’s own advice columnist and, for more than 50 years, Wisconsin’s best-known journalist. Ione Quinby Griggs is the subject of the Wauwatosa Historical Society’s Speakers’ Series at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 13, at the First Congregational Church, 1511 Church St. in Wauwatosa.
Authors Genevieve McBride and Stephen R. Byers, professors at major Milwaukee universities, will talk about their new book, "Dear Mrs. Griggs: Women Readers Pour Out Their Hearts in the Heartland.
They say the legacy of five decades of letters and Mrs. Griggs’ common-sense replies offer insight into the lives of the letter writers as well as the times.
McBride and Byers were reporters for the Journal, from which Griggs retired in 1985. She died in 1991 at the age of 100.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- Department of Defense to fund $5.5 million concussion study
- Advanced Ear, Nose, & Throat Specialists Named Small Business of the Year
- The Torah: A Workshop for Christians
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones
- Foti Chiropractic Fulfills Dream of Second Make-A-Wish Recipient in 2014
- Milwaukee Regional Medical Center's New VP of Finance
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Announces 2015 Officers and Directors
- Local Financial Advisor Hosts Dec. 16 Seminar on Investment Outlook for 2015