Readers of the Milwaukee Journal’s Green Sheet will remember the city’s own advice columnist and, for more than 50 years, Wisconsin’s best-known journalist. Ione Quinby Griggs is the subject of the Wauwatosa Historical Society’s Speakers’ Series at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 13, at the First Congregational Church, 1511 Church St. in Wauwatosa.
Authors Genevieve McBride and Stephen R. Byers, professors at major Milwaukee universities, will talk about their new book, "Dear Mrs. Griggs: Women Readers Pour Out Their Hearts in the Heartland.
They say the legacy of five decades of letters and Mrs. Griggs’ common-sense replies offer insight into the lives of the letter writers as well as the times.
McBride and Byers were reporters for the Journal, from which Griggs retired in 1985. She died in 1991 at the age of 100.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Adolescent patients needed for study on pain
- Care and quality of life for older, rural HIV-positive adults
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- Tosa East Junior Achieves Eagle Scout Award
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park