The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) will host the seventh annual Diabetes Symposium of Wisconsin May 15th and 16th at the Italian Community Center in Milwaukee.
The symposium features lecturers from MCW and a other highly-respected academic institutions and will cover a multitude of topics involving diabetes, from the basic science being used to model the disease, to the latest technologies and treatments.
According to the American Diabetes Association, nearly 26 million Americans have diabetes, and another 79 million are prediabetic. If present trends continue, as many as one in three Americans will have the disease by the year 2050. The current cost of diabetes is estimated at $245 billion per year in the United States alone.
“By bringing together experts across the spectrum of this disease—from the physicians utilizing the newest treatment modalities, to the basic scientists studying the molecular changes that cause diabetes—this symposium offers the opportunity to share the newest research and knowledge around this disease, which will translate into the very best care for patients, and foster excitement and enthusiasm around the ultimate goal, which is the eradication of diabetes,” said Shailendra Patel, M.D., Ph.D., professor of medicine at MCW and the chair of the symposium.
The two-day program is designed to educate health care providers who manage diabetic patients, and is co-sponsored by the American Diabetes Association. For more information or to register, visit http://www.mcw.edu/endocrinology/AnnualDiabetesSymposia.htm or call 414-955-6722.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Parenting Tip: Enjoying a Less Stressful Holiday Season
- Coyote on 72nd Street
- Columbia St. Mary’s Hosting Free Seminar on Advance Directives and Living Wills
- Brookfield Chamber of Commerce and the Center for Business Performance Solutions (CBPS) announce December workshop schedule
- Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen 2015 – nominations being accepted
- Building a Case for Change on Food Initiatives with the Amani Neighborhood
- Inspired by a Home Improvement Show? Do Your Homework.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: December schedule
- Appliance Gallery Suggests Holiday Appliance Ideas
- Tosa West Orchestra Kindekonzert Sat. Dec. 5th