“The moment my counselor at The Healing Center told me that I was not the first man to sit in that chair and tell her a story like mine, I realized I wasn’t alone. I’ll never forget that. It made me understand that, though it may be trying, I could win back my life and my love.”
- Tim, survivor of sexual assault
Tomorrow, April 23, is Denim Day, an international day of advocacy for survivors of sexual assault. All throughout the United States and the world people will be wearing denim with a purpose and, as the slogan goes, “making a social statement with their fashion statement.”
What statement will they EXACTLY be making?
- Nothing anyone can wear, do, or say should make them a target for sexual assault.
- STOP victim blaming.
- No one deserves to be raped. Ever.
- Too many people experience sexual violence in their lifetime. This is an issue we as a community need to address NOW.
Our communities MUST be equipped with programs and services to help survivors of sexual assault THRIVE.
What can you do tomorrow to support survivors? The opportunities are endless. Be creative, be supportive, be caring.
1) Wear denim. (that’s a given…right?)
2) Tell someone WHY you are wearing denim – in support of survivors of sexual assault and to raise awareness about the sexual violence in our community.
3) Make a donation to a program that provides advocacy, health care, legal support, counseling, or other support to survivors of sexual violence. (Here is a link so you can learn about the services Aurora Health Care provides.) Ask your network of friends and family to join you.
4) Post Denim Day graphics or messaging on your Facebook or Twitter. Like or Follow The Healing Center. They have some Denim Day messages you can share or retweet.
5) Brainstorm your own creative way to create awareness around the cause, then tell us about it. Each year we are truly inspired by the ways people get involved on Denim Day. Share it with us. You will never know who you could inspire to do more for the cause.
Denim Day is creating awareness in our communities. Be a part of the movement. Show your support.
“When I participated in Denim Day for the first time in 2010, my eyes and spirit were ignited to do more. This is the moment I knew, I had to speak up more, not just for myself, but for those who are invisible and over looked! We are the change we seek in this world.”
- Samantha, survivor of sexual violence
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- Department of Defense to fund $5.5 million concussion study
- Advanced Ear, Nose, & Throat Specialists Named Small Business of the Year
- The Torah: A Workshop for Christians
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones
- Foti Chiropractic Fulfills Dream of Second Make-A-Wish Recipient in 2014
- Milwaukee Regional Medical Center's New VP of Finance
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Announces 2015 Officers and Directors
- Local Financial Advisor Hosts Dec. 16 Seminar on Investment Outlook for 2015