A new organic garden and compost supply shop on West Vliet Street is celebrating Earth Day with educational activities and specials from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on April 22.
Brew City Gardens' Earth Day activities include:
- Parent and tot time with composting worms: At 10 a.m., small children will be able to learn about how composting restores the earth and look inside a real, active worm compost bin. They can even hold their own worm friends.
- Free composting classes: At Noon, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Brew City Gardens owner “Compost Steve” will explain the basics of worm composting in free micro-classes open to all.
- A 20 percent off store-wide sale on all products, with some products on clearance.
- A 20 percent discount on pre-orders for two types of tumbling compost bins: a double-sided bin and a single chamber bin (pre-ordered compost bins will be available for pick-up in early May).
- Free seeds in exchange for kitchen scraps: Brew City Gardens welcomes the community to bring in buckets of vegetable-based kitchen scraps for composting. Anyone who brings in a bucket of scraps will receive a free packet of High Mowing Organics seeds! No meat, dairy, salty or oily foods or pet waste, please.
- Plastic bag recycling: On Earth Day, Brew City gardens will also begin regular collection of plastic bags in order to recycle them for the community. Clean, dry plastic bags of all types are welcome.
- Refreshments: Light, healthy refreshments will be offered throughout the day.
“Earth Day is an important day to recognize the work we can all be doing every day to make our world greener and healthier,” said Steve Anderson, co-owner of Brew City Gardens. “We are excited to celebrate the occasion by educating people of all ages about things they can do every day to live more sustainably.”
Brew City Gardens, located at 4307 W. Vliet St., offers home composting, organic gardening and urban homesteading products along with information about composting and gardening. Their goal is to equip people with the resources necessary to build healthier communities by returning waste to the earth, restoring the health of urban soil and building gardens that create beautiful, sustainable urban spaces. Learn more at BrewCityGardens.com. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in June!
- Lippert Tile wins Starnet® Worldwide’s 2016 Flooring Contractor Sustainability Award
- Travel Leaders offers tips for Navagating Airport Security lines faster
- Summer Reading is Here
- Trinity UCC Outdoor Contemporary Worship and Picnic
- County Parks Offers Free Chess Camps
- Sky Zone Debuts Glow Zone Fridays
- Milwaukee Seniors Celebrate National Senior Fitness Day this Wednesday
- Civic Band Concert Line Up Announced
- Local Resident Participates in BOEING BOEING at Sunset Playhouse