Yvonne Chiu, MD, assistant professor of dermatology and pediatrics at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), was awarded a three year Pediatric Dermatology Career Development Award by the Dermatology Foundation at its annual meeting in Denver. She is one of only two people nationwide to receive that particular award, and it will be applied towards her project, “Clinical and Genetic Investigations of Pediatric Morphea.”
Morphea is a rare fibrosing disorder that causes significant morbidity through atrophy and scarring of the skin and underlying structures. It affects children and adults, though pediatric morphea has a higher risk of musculoskeletal and neurologic complications. Despite the high morbidity associated with this disease, morphea remains a poorly understood disorder. Dr. Chiu is a fellowship-trained and board-certified pediatric dermatologist with Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Along with her research and clinical interests are in morphea, also called localized scleroderma, she has interests in rheumatologic conditions such as lupus erythematosus and dermatomyositis.
Dr. Chiu received her medical degree in 2006 from the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California. She did an internship in pediatrics and residency in dermatology at Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, where she also completed a pediatric dermatology fellowship in 2011 before joining the MCW faculty. She is board-certified in dermatology and pediatric dermatology and sees patients at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
The Dermatology Foundation’s research awards are designed to help launch the careers of investigators, educators and leaders in dermatology.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- All animal lovers welcome to WAUMC's blessing of the pets
- Drug discovery and genetic engineering: Science Café series scheduled
- Learn Your Working Style, Rule Your Universe
- Learning Never Ends...An Evening for Adults
- Researchers discover new gene responsible for traits involved in diabetes
- Locally Owned MOZZALUNA PIZZERIA & RISTORANTE is doing a Free Pizza Give Away on 9/25/14
- Treating post-traumatic stress disorder
- Operation Forward March to Benefit Wounded Warrior Project
- Callen Debuts Updated Website
- Nain Lutheran Church Celebrates 100th Anniversary