The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) will present awards to Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and State Representative John Nygren at a reception at UW-Green Bay on Wednesday, April 9. The festivities at the Weidner Center kick off at 5:30 p.m. and the event will conclude at 7:30 p.m.
Governor Walker will be presented the MCW Hands of Humanity Award. The Hands of Humanity is an iconic sculpture by artist James Myford on the MCW-Milwaukee campus and named by a former medical student to represent that in every patient encounter, there are three hands at work: the hand of the physician, the hand of the patient, and the hand of God.
In the most recent budget, Gov. Walker invested more than $7 million to partner with MCW on its new medical school campus in Green Bay. That school will welcome its first students July 2015. Gov. Walker also provided for new and expanded family medicine residencies to help train and retain physicians in areas of the state in which doctors are critically needed.
“Governor Walker shows great vision in his commitment to help the medical community enhance and transform healthcare in this state. It is the true spirit of the Hands of Humanity,” said John R. Raymond, MD, President and CEO of MCW.
Representative John Nygren will be honored with the Friend of MCW Award. As co-chair of the Joint Committee on Finance, Rep. Nygren has been a strong champion for healthcare, growth of the physician workforce, and the importance of mental health.
“As a native of northeast Wisconsin, Representative Nygren knows firsthand the healthcare challenges facing communities in that region, and his support and leadership has been critical in helping us establish a new medical education program to address those challenges,” said Matthew Hunsaker, MD, Dean of MCW-Green Bay.
Community leaders and supporters, academic and healthcare partners, lawmakers, and MCW leaders and alumni will also be in attendance.
Media are invited to the event. The UW-Green Bay Weidner Center is located at 2420 Nicolet Drive in Green Bay.
List of Speakers:
Joseph E. Kerschner, MD, Executive Vice President of MCW and Dean of the Medical School
John R. Raymond, Sr., MD, President and CEO of MCW
Matthew Hunsaker, MD, Dean of MCW-Green Bay
Mary Ellen Stanek, Incoming Chairman of the MCW Board of Trustees
Governor Scott Walker
State Representative John Nygren
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Announcing Wisconsin Massage Clinic Open House
- BBB's 10 Tips for Safe Online Shopping On Cyber Monday
- IndependenceFirst Milwaukee Heat “Big Cheese Classic” wheelchair basketball tourney
- Abby Thompson will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- St. Margaret Mary School to Donate 13,200 Pounds of Food
- Richard Kohlmann Named Beverage Manager at Western Racquet Club
- Area Students Perform in Miracle on 34th Street at Sunset Playhouse December 4th through December 31st
- Acclaimed actor Michael York to keynote amyloidosis event
- YOUNG WAUWATOSA RESIDENT APPEARS IN FIRST STAGE'S RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday