The Milwaukee-based, international weight loss organization TOPS Club, Inc. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) has donated $205,000 to support research in obesity and metabolic disorders at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW).
Faculty at MCW’s TOPS Obesity and Metabolic Research Center are conducting research on the genetics of obesity, as well as obesity’s effect on overall health. Members of TOPS have provided not only monetary support of the research, but have also provided generations of genetic data for investigators to study the causes of obesity in families. The work continues the legacy of the late Ahmed Kissebah, MD, PhD, a longtime MCW faculty member who founded the TOPS Research Center and made significant discoveries related to the genetics of obesity.
“The contributions TOPS members have made towards our understanding of obesity have been not only generous from a monetary standpoint, but their willingness to share their own family histories have allowed us to make tremendous leaps in the field. We are grateful for their unflagging support,” said Sherry Zhang, PhD, assistant professor of medicine at MCW and a researcher in the TOPS Center.
“TOPS Club, Inc. is proud to add this contribution from our membership to aid in the discovery of effective treatments, potential cures and continuing support of the scientific study of all obesity-related health issues through the TOPS Laboratory at MCW,” said Barbara Cady, the president of TOPS Club, Inc.
Founded in 1948, TOPS has donated more than $8.2 million to MCW research.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- De-clutter your home and recycle your books!
- Tosa's All-City Read Welcomes You to First Week Activities
- Parkinson’s gene linked to lung cancer
- “Grillologists,” Lambeau Leap Inventor, and Local Experts on Food to Present at Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show
- ONLY A FEW SPOTS LEFT FOR CIGARMKE'S FEBRUARY EVENT
- Mardi Gras Big Band Dinner Dance
- Milwaukee German Immersion School Students become JA BizTown Citizens
- BBB Top 10 Scams of 2014
- National Memorabilia Appraiser & Local Home & Gardening Experts to Present at Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show
- Sharpen your sleuthing skills for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7