The popular “Sandwich and a Steinway” concert series at Steinway Piano Gallery of Milwaukee, 11550 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa, will present a special benefit concert for Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra. Performers at noon on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, will be Jim Kocovsky, a GMES board member, and Carmen Kitts, head teacher of the children’s orchestra.
Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra is a music education organization for students in second through fifth grade in the Waukesha community. Based on the El Sistema (The System) program that was established in Venezuela and has become a global phenomenon, the goal is to cultivate positive, responsible citizens in a nurturing atmosphere that develops social and academic skills. Small group and ensemble training on musicianship and string instruments is taught three days per week at Hadfield Elementary School, with regular performances for the community. Established in 2011 in partnership with Carroll University, the School District of Waukesha and the White House of Music, Greater Milwaukee El Sistema is now fully incorporated.
Proceeds from this concert will support summer scholarship music lessons for current students and startup funding to open a new site in September 2014.
For more information, visit spgmilwaukee.steinwaydealer.com and sistemawi.webs.com.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- McKinley Lodge hosts "World Famous Fish Fry"