The popular “Sandwich and a Steinway” concert series at Steinway Piano Gallery of Milwaukee, 11550 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa, will present a special benefit concert for Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra. Performers at noon on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, will be Jim Kocovsky, a GMES board member, and Carmen Kitts, head teacher of the children’s orchestra.
Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra is a music education organization for students in second through fifth grade in the Waukesha community. Based on the El Sistema (The System) program that was established in Venezuela and has become a global phenomenon, the goal is to cultivate positive, responsible citizens in a nurturing atmosphere that develops social and academic skills. Small group and ensemble training on musicianship and string instruments is taught three days per week at Hadfield Elementary School, with regular performances for the community. Established in 2011 in partnership with Carroll University, the School District of Waukesha and the White House of Music, Greater Milwaukee El Sistema is now fully incorporated.
Proceeds from this concert will support summer scholarship music lessons for current students and startup funding to open a new site in September 2014.
For more information, visit spgmilwaukee.steinwaydealer.com and sistemawi.webs.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Froedtert & MCW Ranks Among Top 10 US Academic Medical Centers
- Corporate Chair Massage Program - It's Essential!
- Halloween Safety Tips
- Dr. Kiran K. Turaga named Sharon K. Wadina Endowed Professor in Sarcoma Research
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: October schedule
- Happy 10th Anniversary Hart Park Square!
- MCW announces Critical Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program
- MCW’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment awards $250,000 to assess health impact of Eau Claire community planning
- Seniors can learn tips for downsizing in free presentation Oct. 6
- MCW awarded $2.7 million grant to advance the understanding and measurement of outcomes in children with chronic disease