The popular “Sandwich and a Steinway” concert series at Steinway Piano Gallery of Milwaukee, 11550 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa, will present a special benefit concert for Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra. Performers at noon on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, will be Jim Kocovsky, a GMES board member, and Carmen Kitts, head teacher of the children’s orchestra.
Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra is a music education organization for students in second through fifth grade in the Waukesha community. Based on the El Sistema (The System) program that was established in Venezuela and has become a global phenomenon, the goal is to cultivate positive, responsible citizens in a nurturing atmosphere that develops social and academic skills. Small group and ensemble training on musicianship and string instruments is taught three days per week at Hadfield Elementary School, with regular performances for the community. Established in 2011 in partnership with Carroll University, the School District of Waukesha and the White House of Music, Greater Milwaukee El Sistema is now fully incorporated.
Proceeds from this concert will support summer scholarship music lessons for current students and startup funding to open a new site in September 2014.
For more information, visit spgmilwaukee.steinwaydealer.com and sistemawi.webs.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hear About One of Area’s Newest Museums
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- A Retirement Income Planning Primer
- Columbia St. Mary's Gateway Medical Clinic Unveils New CT Scanner
- MCW seeks participants for kidney research
- Artist and Display's Final Art Class