The popular “Sandwich and a Steinway” concert series at Steinway Piano Gallery of Milwaukee, 11550 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa, will present a special benefit concert for Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra. Performers at noon on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, will be Jim Kocovsky, a GMES board member, and Carmen Kitts, head teacher of the children’s orchestra.
Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra is a music education organization for students in second through fifth grade in the Waukesha community. Based on the El Sistema (The System) program that was established in Venezuela and has become a global phenomenon, the goal is to cultivate positive, responsible citizens in a nurturing atmosphere that develops social and academic skills. Small group and ensemble training on musicianship and string instruments is taught three days per week at Hadfield Elementary School, with regular performances for the community. Established in 2011 in partnership with Carroll University, the School District of Waukesha and the White House of Music, Greater Milwaukee El Sistema is now fully incorporated.
Proceeds from this concert will support summer scholarship music lessons for current students and startup funding to open a new site in September 2014.
For more information, visit spgmilwaukee.steinwaydealer.com and sistemawi.webs.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee Student Named Rising Star
- Musical MainStage - Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Adds Four Members
- 10 Homework Tips for The School Year
- Crafters Wanted for Trinity UCC Craft Fair
- CTSI grant to fund childhood diabetes study
- Chiropractic care resolves GERD
- The Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin ALS Clinic Takes on the Ice Bucket Challenge
- ESPRIT Poms & Dance Team Will Perform in DISNEY in 2015
- Wisconsin Lutheran College announces plans for parking structure