The popular “Sandwich and a Steinway” concert series at Steinway Piano Gallery of Milwaukee, 11550 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa, will present a special benefit concert for Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra. Performers at noon on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, will be Jim Kocovsky, a GMES board member, and Carmen Kitts, head teacher of the children’s orchestra.
Greater Milwaukee El Sistema Orchestra is a music education organization for students in second through fifth grade in the Waukesha community. Based on the El Sistema (The System) program that was established in Venezuela and has become a global phenomenon, the goal is to cultivate positive, responsible citizens in a nurturing atmosphere that develops social and academic skills. Small group and ensemble training on musicianship and string instruments is taught three days per week at Hadfield Elementary School, with regular performances for the community. Established in 2011 in partnership with Carroll University, the School District of Waukesha and the White House of Music, Greater Milwaukee El Sistema is now fully incorporated.
Proceeds from this concert will support summer scholarship music lessons for current students and startup funding to open a new site in September 2014.
For more information, visit spgmilwaukee.steinwaydealer.com and sistemawi.webs.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Adolescent patients needed for study on pain
- Care and quality of life for older, rural HIV-positive adults
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- Tosa East Junior Achieves Eagle Scout Award
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park