John Gurda, a well known local historian and author, will present “Rogues and Reformers: Milwaukee's Surprising Political History,” at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, March 12, at the Elm Grove Playhouse. Gurda will be speaking to members and guests of West Suburban-Milwaukee Branch of American Association of University Women.
Gurda is a Milwaukee-born writer and historian who has been studying his hometown since 1972. The author of 19 books, he is also a lecturer, tour guide, and local history columnist for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. His most ambitious effort, The Making of Milwaukee, is 450 pages long with 500 illustrations.
Milwaukee Public Television premiered an Emmy Award-winning documentary series based on the book in 2006; that series is available on DVD. Currently, he appears with Jonathan McGivern on public television’s “Around the Corner,” featuring Milwaukee, its suburbs, and other communities in Wisconsin.
Gurda holds a B.A. in English from Boston College and an M.A. in Cultural Geography from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He is an eight-time winner of the Wisconsin Historical Society’s Award of Merit.
Prospective members and guests are welcome. Please call Karla Sloan at 262-695-4431.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Callen Says Weatherize Now to Save Energy in Winter
- LifeTime OB-GYN Joins Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Health Network
- First Congregational Church Offers Seminar on How to Help the Grieving
- Peter Mayer Concert in November
- Film Screening: Merchants of Doubt
- Monster Run Movie and Pumpkin Lighting
- Lutheran Home Foundation Monarch Ball Raises Record Amount
- Holiday Folk Fair to Help Celebrate Italian Heritage Month
- Rudyard Kipling comes to Milwaukee in advance of his 150th birthday!
- R.A. Smith National Given Green Light from FAA on Commercial Use of Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS)