John Gurda, a well known local historian and author, will present “Rogues and Reformers: Milwaukee's Surprising Political History,” at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, March 12, at the Elm Grove Playhouse. Gurda will be speaking to members and guests of West Suburban-Milwaukee Branch of American Association of University Women.
Gurda is a Milwaukee-born writer and historian who has been studying his hometown since 1972. The author of 19 books, he is also a lecturer, tour guide, and local history columnist for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. His most ambitious effort, The Making of Milwaukee, is 450 pages long with 500 illustrations.
Milwaukee Public Television premiered an Emmy Award-winning documentary series based on the book in 2006; that series is available on DVD. Currently, he appears with Jonathan McGivern on public television’s “Around the Corner,” featuring Milwaukee, its suburbs, and other communities in Wisconsin.
Gurda holds a B.A. in English from Boston College and an M.A. in Cultural Geography from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He is an eight-time winner of the Wisconsin Historical Society’s Award of Merit.
Prospective members and guests are welcome. Please call Karla Sloan at 262-695-4431.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Learning Never Ends...An Evening for Adults
- Researchers discover new gene responsible for traits involved in diabetes
- Locally Owned MOZZALUNA PIZZERIA & RISTORANTE is doing a Free Pizza Give Away on 9/25/14
- Treating post-traumatic stress disorder
- Operation Forward March to Benefit Wounded Warrior Project
- Callen Debuts Updated Website
- Nain Lutheran Church Celebrates 100th Anniversary
- “Get Your Rear in Gear” run/walk for colon cancer prevention and research
- Dr. Raj Rao to chair FDA panel
- Area Remodeling Association Reports Improved Activity Results for First Half of 2014