THE TONY MEMMEL BAND IN CONCERT WITH THE SHEBOYGAN SYMPHONY AND CHORUS MARCH 15, 2014
Tony Memmel (a former Wauwatosa native) and The Tony Memmel Band will perform with The Sheboygan Symphony Orchestra and the Sheboygan Symphony Chorus at a concert at the Weill Center for the Performing Arts in Sheboygan. The Sheboygan Symphony is under the direction of Dr. Kevin R. McMahon and the Sheboygan Symphony Chorus is directed by Dr. Peter Dennee.
McMahon stated, “We invite you to this concert where ‘All About Family’ is showcased with our guest artists, Tony & Lesleigh Memmel, our second husband and wife team of the season, and the Sheboygan Symphony Chorus, a very important part of the Sheboygan Symphony Orchestra family.”
The Sheboygan Symphony Orchestra, Chorus and the Memmels will present a concert titled ‘Classic Creativity.’ McMahon explained, “This theme is derived from the Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade, a classic from the orchestral repertory, based on the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights. Scheherazade is presented as an audience and orchestra member requested work.
The concert opens with Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade. Next the Sheboygan Symphony Chorus joins the Orchestra in Presenting Faure’s Pavane. Following intermission the featured selections showcase the Tony Memmel originals orchestrated for orchestra and chorus. These premiered collections are Overture & Here We Go, Burnt Bridges, Blinded by the Light, I Could Make You New and Clenched Hands Brave Demands.
“While the word creativity covers all the beautiful art music on the concert, it especially applies to the original music of the singer/songwriter Tony Memmel,” emphasized McMahon. “Memmel and his band will front the Symphony and Chorus to premiere a number of his musical orchestrations. If you’ve never tried a symphony concert before, this one gives as broad a musical experience as one might ever hope to enjoy.”
Songwriter and performer, Memmel stated, “In 2012, I was commissioned to compose orchestral and choral arrangements of my original songs to be performed alongside the Sheboygan Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Composing for the symphony took me the better part of a year, and after much work and preparation, the debut concert date has been set for March 15th, 2014. The band and I are thrilled to be performing alongside some of the best musicians in Wisconsin, under the direction of Dr. Kevin McMahon.
I invite you to join us at the Stefanie H. Weill Center for the Performing Arts, this March, to be a part of what is sure to be an unforgettable evening.”
Guest artist Memmel is a songwriter and performer with unique charisma and creativity. He was born missing his left forearm; yet he taught himself to play the guitar, piano and harmonica. Memmel’s music most definitely stands on its own; it is catchy, without sacrificing sincerity, and his lyrics are personal and real.
Memmel and his wife, Lesleigh, moved to Nashville, Tennessee in November of 2013 from their long-time home in Wauwatosa, WI. During 2013, they drove back and forth from Wauwatosa to Music City U.S.A. six times in four months to play concerts and network with other songwriters, producers and musicians. Memmel stated, “Our family and fanbase is the reason we feel driven to push forward and to take these steps in our lives. Thank you for ALL of your support through the years.”
Memmel earned a Bachelor’s degree in music and is a classically trained and acclaimed vocalist. He has gained a loyal following and support from fans and musicians alike in the Midwest, the Country, and even the World.
Memmel has toured extensively and is making a name for himself in such places as Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Dallas. He’s been featured in the Associated Press, Boston Globe and Chicago Tribune, was selected as a Grand-Prize winner in a Counting Crows cover contest by The Counting Crows themselves, and was recently honored to take first place in a prestigious singer-songwriter competition in Boston.
1. Tickets are available for the March 15th concert. Prices are $39, $35, $30, $22 and $15 for students. Tickets are available from the Symphony Office at 920- 452-1985 or the Weill Center ticket office at 920-208-3243. Tickets are also available in the box office two hours prior to concert.
2. The concert is at the Stefanie H. Weill Center for the Performing Arts, March 15, 2014, at 7:30 pm.
3. Guest artists, Tony & Lesleigh Memmel will conduct a guitar and vocal master class on Friday, March 14, 2013 at the Weill Center for the Performing Arts from 4:00 – 5:00 pm. Admission is free. Please call 452-1985 for more information.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Prata Duo To Present Free Concert
- MCW researchers to study medication to treat traumatic brain injury
- Two Comedy Shows benefit local military charities
- 15 Companies Join Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council
- Recycle Your Clothes for Earth Day!
- Wauwatosa Drop-Off Center Dumps Annual Permit
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC to be Held May 30
- Use of stent, compared to medications, increases risk of stroke in patients with narrowed artery within the brain
- New! LIFT Field Hockey!