"Brass at Night"
Saturday, March 8, 2014 - 7:00 p.m.
Schwan Hall, Wisconsin Lutheran College
8815 W Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, WI
website for more info: www.mfbrass.org
Concert Preview: Milwaukee Festival Brass
The Milwaukee Festival Brass will present “Brass at Night,” the third concert of its 2013-2014 season on Saturday March 8 at 7 PM. In this evocatively titled program, listeners will embark on a journey from the twilight hours of dusk, through the romance of the evening hours, to the mystery and fascination that the late night brings.
When asked about the theme of the concert, Music Director Mark A. Taylor said this: When we are young children, the night can be scary, dark and full of the unknown. But as we grow older, the night becomes a magical time – its darkness rich with possibilities for romance, imagination, dreams. It is perhaps no coincidence that, like bedtime stories, most performances in the theatre occur at night, when our imaginations are a little freer to embrace fiction.
The concert will include a recent arrangement for brass band by noted New York composer Joseph Turrin. The band’s solo euphonium, David Meyer, will perform the famous “Nessun dorma” aria from Puccini’s Turandot. Other selections will include “Music of the Night” from Phantom of the Opera, and a beautiful rendition of the Welsh lullaby, “All Through the Night.” A medley of show-stopping melodies by Broadway legend Cole Porter will conclude the performance.
In anticipation of its upcoming entry into the North American Brass Band Championships, the band will perform selections from its contest program, including Edward Gregson’s Partita and Michael Ball’s Chaucer’s Tunes.
SPECIAL NOTES: Bring two or more non perishable goods, for Hunger Task Force, and receive $2 off walkup admission; Present your ticket on March 8 at the CHancery in Wauwatosa and receive 10% off your food bill!!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Jude the Apostle Kindergartners Gift of Warmth Keeps Giving
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- Wauwatosa residents win grants through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Not a Good Idea to Bike?
- KNAPP CHIROPRACTIC AND WELLNESS CENTER, INC. PATIENTS GIVE OUTSTANDING TESTIMONIALS
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- Dr. Melinda Stolley named MCW Cancer Center associate director
- WAUWATOSA DISTINGUISHED CITIZEN 2014: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Celebrate the Christmas Season with Trinity United Church of Christ