During a winter when the words “polar vortex” entered our vocabulary, we’re looking for a few good laughs anywhere we can find them. Come inside with your friends and family where it’s warm at Serb Hall in Milwaukee for the 13th annual “Comedy for a Cause.”
More than a decade ago, the comedians at ComedySportz started putting on a family show to raise money for the Wisconsin Ovarian Cancer Alliance (WOCA). This year they’re bringing their show on the road to Serb Hall to make room for more guests. The laughs will start March 6th when the doors open at 5 p.m.
The idea for the event came from a victim of ovarian cancer who created a WOCA chapter. Joan Sagan was only 49 when she was diagnosed in 1999. She died in 2004 from ovarian cancer. An oncology nurse, Sagan knew more about the disease than most patients, and also knew the importance of a good laugh.
“Joanie had such a great sense of humor,” said Sandi Wagner, her sister and Executive Director of WOCA.
Instead of a charity walk, Sagan wanted to use the healing effects of laughter to help women coping with ovarian cancer. The idea grew into a party that’s attracted more survivors and loved ones each year. Also new this year, for every non-perishable food item visitors bring to donate to the Hunger Task Force, they will receive an extra raffle ticket for a drawing of prizes.
The festivities include a buffet at 5:30 p.m. followed by the raffle drawings, the family comedy show at 7 p.m. along with a silent auction and loud auction at 7:30 p.m.
Guests can bid on prizes that include an autographed football signed by members of the Green Bay Packers, a stay-cation package which includes one night at the Iron Horse Hotel, a gift certificate to use at one of their restaurants, two tickets to the Harley Davidson Museum and a Harley Davidson women’s leather jacket. There’s also a travel package worth $300 that includes a Wenger 19 inch, 4-wheeled spinner carry-on luggage bag. Wenger is the maker of the genuine Swiss Army knife. The prizes also include a portable DVD player that’s perfect for entertaining the kids in the car.
To order tickets, or for anyone who cannot attend but would like to donate, call us at the Wisconsin Ovarian Cancer Alliance at 262-797-7804 or visit: www.wisconsinovariancancer.com
- Color Craze at the Wauwatosa Library
- Performer Steve Girman at the Wauwatosa Public Library
- Marquette student from Menomonee Falls "Plays it forward" in support of Youth Sports Camp
- Taiwan Excellence Comes to Summerfest
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin and Easter Seals Southeast Wisconsin Celebrate Project SEARCH Completion Ceremony for Adults With Disabilities
- Electricity Program at Wauwatosa Library
- Bessie Turns 100!
- Community service project provides speakers to groups and clubs
- Appliance Gallery Offers Decorating Tips to Compliment Appliances
- Pro Skateboarder to visit Tosa Skatepark