This February, as part of Children’s Dental Health Month, Dental Associates’ Milwaukee and Racine clinics are teaching youngsters how to care for their teeth.
Throughout the month, dental assistants from Dental Associates are visiting nearly 20 area schools to educate 2,000-plus children about dental health. During the visits, each child will receive a dental kit that includes a new toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss and dental care information.
Employees from Dental Associates’ Wauwatosa, Franklin and Sturtevant clinics will work with students at Maple Tree Elementary, Indian Community School, Shepard Hills Elementary, and Starbuck Middle School. Through its 10 locations in Wisconsin, Dental Associates plans to visit 100 schools and reach 10,000 students.
According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, more than 50 percent of children are affected by tooth decay before age five. In addition, a report from the Office of the Surgeon General notes that more than 51 million school hours are lost each year to dental-related conditions.
“We’ve done the student education initiative for many years and it’s something our staff looks forward to every February,” says Dr. Thomas Manos, D.D.S, M.S., president and owner of Dental Associates. “We enjoy working with children and giving them the supplies and information they need to properly take care of their teeth. We’re committed to helping the community in every way we can.”
During the school presentations, dental assistants from Dental Associates show students the keys to oral health – brushing twice a day for at least two minutes, flossing and seeing a dentist for regular checkups. They also address the importance of a healthy diet and encourage children to avoid sugary snacks and sweet drinks like juice and soda since those products simply coat teeth with sugar. Instead, fruits, vegetables, water and milk are good choices.
Founded in 1973, Dental Associates is Wisconsin’s largest family-owned dental group practice with 10 offices throughout the state and nearly 800 staff members, including 100 doctors. Dental Associates provides complete family dental services, both general and specialty dentistry, under one roof – from pediatric dentistry to specialized dental services for older adults – with a focus on excellent care that is affordable, accessible and personalized. Dental Associates is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). Through the company's CarePlus Dental Plans, Dental Associates provides affordable and high-quality dental health care to all Wisconsin residents. For more information regarding Dental Associates, visit www.dentalassociates.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents former Navy SEAL, Jeff Boss, leadership coach specializing in adaptability