A traveling art show that pays homage to World War II veterans in a unique way is now on display in a Wauwatosa senior living community.
Luther Manor, located at 4545 N. 92nd. St., is hosting a photo exhibit that tells the story of Stars and Stripes Honor Flight, the organization that since 2008 has taken thousands of World War II veterans on a day trip to Washington, D.C. to see the war memorial erected in their honor.
The exhibit is a chronology of an Honor Flight trip, using 120 images taken by the official Honor Flight photographer, Visual Image Photography.
“We are so delighted to have this exhibit return to Luther Manor,” said Kate Bertram, Director of Marketing. “It’s an honor to be able to share the veterans’ experience on the Honor Flight with our residents and the entire community; especially since many of our staff, volunteers, and residents have participated in the program.”
Two residents, Marjorie Jothen and Norbert Manchester made the whirlwind daytrip to visit the war memorials last spring. Manchester, 91, is veteran of the Navy. He enlisted when he was 17 and his parents had to sign for him. Jothen, 95, served in the Army Nurse Corps and provided support to Pacific Theatre operation.
The Stars and Stripes Honor Flight is one trip that veterans don’t soon forget.
“I couldn’t believe all of the people at the airport when we got back,” Manchester said. “It was like the war just ended. I will never forget that reception. I will never forget this trip. I am just so thankful to my daughter and granddaughter for arranging it.”
The Stars and Stripes Honor Flight Art Show will be on exhibit, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays in the Luther Manor Welcome center through Feb. 14. Admission is free.
“The display will give you goose bumps,” Bertram said.
An accredited senior living community, Luther Manor has been caring and advocating for seniors for more than 50 years. In addition to apartment homes, assisted living and long-term care options, Luther Manor offers rehabilitation, adult day and supportive services, hospice care and community outreach programs. For more information, call (414) 464-3880 or visit www.luthermanor.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- College seeking third-party comments for HLC accreditation
- You are invited to Esprit Poms' Pizzeria Piccola fundraiser - December 28th, 2014, 4-9pm
- St. Jude the Apostle Kindergartners Gift of Warmth Keeps Giving
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- Wauwatosa residents win grants through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Not a Good Idea to Bike?
- KNAPP CHIROPRACTIC AND WELLNESS CENTER, INC. PATIENTS GIVE OUTSTANDING TESTIMONIALS
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- Dr. Melinda Stolley named MCW Cancer Center associate director
- WAUWATOSA DISTINGUISHED CITIZEN 2014: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS