A traveling art show that pays homage to World War II veterans in a unique way is now on display in a Wauwatosa senior living community.
Luther Manor, located at 4545 N. 92nd. St., is hosting a photo exhibit that tells the story of Stars and Stripes Honor Flight, the organization that since 2008 has taken thousands of World War II veterans on a day trip to Washington, D.C. to see the war memorial erected in their honor.
The exhibit is a chronology of an Honor Flight trip, using 120 images taken by the official Honor Flight photographer, Visual Image Photography.
“We are so delighted to have this exhibit return to Luther Manor,” said Kate Bertram, Director of Marketing. “It’s an honor to be able to share the veterans’ experience on the Honor Flight with our residents and the entire community; especially since many of our staff, volunteers, and residents have participated in the program.”
Two residents, Marjorie Jothen and Norbert Manchester made the whirlwind daytrip to visit the war memorials last spring. Manchester, 91, is veteran of the Navy. He enlisted when he was 17 and his parents had to sign for him. Jothen, 95, served in the Army Nurse Corps and provided support to Pacific Theatre operation.
The Stars and Stripes Honor Flight is one trip that veterans don’t soon forget.
“I couldn’t believe all of the people at the airport when we got back,” Manchester said. “It was like the war just ended. I will never forget that reception. I will never forget this trip. I am just so thankful to my daughter and granddaughter for arranging it.”
The Stars and Stripes Honor Flight Art Show will be on exhibit, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays in the Luther Manor Welcome center through Feb. 14. Admission is free.
“The display will give you goose bumps,” Bertram said.
An accredited senior living community, Luther Manor has been caring and advocating for seniors for more than 50 years. In addition to apartment homes, assisted living and long-term care options, Luther Manor offers rehabilitation, adult day and supportive services, hospice care and community outreach programs. For more information, call (414) 464-3880 or visit www.luthermanor.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Froedtert & MCW Ranks Among Top 10 US Academic Medical Centers
- Corporate Chair Massage Program - It's Essential!
- Halloween Safety Tips
- Dr. Kiran K. Turaga named Sharon K. Wadina Endowed Professor in Sarcoma Research
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: October schedule
- Happy 10th Anniversary Hart Park Square!
- MCW announces Critical Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program
- MCW’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment awards $250,000 to assess health impact of Eau Claire community planning
- Seniors can learn tips for downsizing in free presentation Oct. 6
- MCW awarded $2.7 million grant to advance the understanding and measurement of outcomes in children with chronic disease