FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 20, 2014
Contact: Jayne Jenks 262-896-8305
Rain Garden Grant Program Returns!
WAUKESHA,WI - In partnership with the Graham Martin Foundation, Waukesha County is once again able to offer native plants for rain gardens at half off the normal retail price. Native plants in 2 inch pots that normally retail for $3.60 will be available for $1.80 per plant. These plants can be used effectively for rain garden plantings and storm water control.
Planting rain gardens with native plants helps the runoff soak into the soil. A rain garden is a sunken garden with a flat bottom that absorbs water into the ground. It does not hold or pond water, but quickly soaks it in to the soil. Runoff is the major source of surface water pollution, since it contains many pollutants such as pet waste and fertilizers. Soaking runoff into the ground helps keep local rivers and lakes clean from runoff pollution.
Order plants by March 14th to participate in the Graham Martin Foundation Rain Garden Grant program. Plant lists and order forms can be found at www.waukeshacounty.gov/cleanwater . To learn more about rain gardens and how to design and install them, there will be a free class at Retzer Nature Center on March 22nd at 11:00 am. Retzer is located at S14 W28167 Madison St. on the west side of Waukesha.
# # #
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Storytimes at Yo Mama! Frozen Yogurt and Goodies
- Win at the Wisconsin State Fair with a #SnapdragonSelfie!
- Refashion for Life Charity Fashion Show to Feature Clothing, Home Improvement Products
- 24th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Fall Home & Remodeling Show Scheduled
- High Honors Earned At Wisconsin State Fair
- Attorney Sarah A. Ponath Opens New General Practice Law Office in Butler
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night
- Rock For Locks Benefit / Morgan's Ride For Alopecia
- Soothe your soul in Door County, WI - Blissfull yoga retreat with Soul On Yoga
- Spinal cord injury: what determines recovery?