FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 20, 2014
Contact: Jayne Jenks 262-896-8305
Rain Garden Grant Program Returns!
WAUKESHA,WI - In partnership with the Graham Martin Foundation, Waukesha County is once again able to offer native plants for rain gardens at half off the normal retail price. Native plants in 2 inch pots that normally retail for $3.60 will be available for $1.80 per plant. These plants can be used effectively for rain garden plantings and storm water control.
Planting rain gardens with native plants helps the runoff soak into the soil. A rain garden is a sunken garden with a flat bottom that absorbs water into the ground. It does not hold or pond water, but quickly soaks it in to the soil. Runoff is the major source of surface water pollution, since it contains many pollutants such as pet waste and fertilizers. Soaking runoff into the ground helps keep local rivers and lakes clean from runoff pollution.
Order plants by March 14th to participate in the Graham Martin Foundation Rain Garden Grant program. Plant lists and order forms can be found at www.waukeshacounty.gov/cleanwater . To learn more about rain gardens and how to design and install them, there will be a free class at Retzer Nature Center on March 22nd at 11:00 am. Retzer is located at S14 W28167 Madison St. on the west side of Waukesha.
# # #
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips For Last-Minute Home Winterization
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Free Jumping at Sky Zone with Food Donation
- Researcher to investigate effective health information technology implementation
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation
- BBB Balances 2014 Trends with Tips for Smart Holiday Shoppers
- 125 Volunteers Needed at Special Olympics Wisconsin State Bowling and Volleyball Tourney
- Holiday Folk Fair International Offers Ticket Discounts to Support Salvation Army
- MCW researchers to investigate biological factors of post-traumatic stress disorder