The 18th Annual Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Club Run & Walk will be held on Saturday, February 15 at 10:00 a.m. at Wil-O-Way Recreation Center, 10602 Underwood Parkway in Wauwatosa. The event supports heart research at the internationally recognized Cardiovascular Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin, in which more than 170 faculty physicians and research scientists study the causes, prevention and treatment of heart disease. Cullen Run/Walk proceeds have helped various research programs including studies to identify genetic risk factors of heart disease, to learn more about the causes of hypertension, and to better understand the correlation between plaque buildup and coronary artery disease.
The Cullen Run/Walk is an 8-kilometer USA Track and Field (USATF) competitive run and a 2-mile fun run/walk along the scenic Underwood Parkway in Wauwatosa. Sponsored by the Cullen family and the Badgerland Striders, the event includes Cullen Family & Friends Chili, refreshments, food, an awards ceremony and live music for the entire family. Participants will also receive a Dry-Weave Tech running shirt.
New this year is an indoor training option. Participants have the option of working out on one day of their choice between February 9th and February 15th at the Wisconsin Athletic Club in Wauwatosa.
The event is held in memory of Steve Cullen, a former Milwaukee alderman, who died in 1995 at age 40 of sudden cardiac arrhythmia. His father, at age 41, and two brothers, ages 53 and 51, also died of heart disease. The Cullen Run/Walk has grown in attendance by over 500% since its inception, encouraging heart healthy lifestyles for all participants, their families and friends. The event has raised more than $250,000 for cardiovascular research and awareness.
Register online, by mail or in person. Registration is $30 for individuals and $100 for families of four through January 31, after which the cost is $35 for individuals and $125 for families. Team registration is encouraged for companies, schools and organizations with five or more participants who compete for the “Biggest Heart” trophy (most dollars raised for heart research) or the “Fleetest Feet” trophies (fastest times for male, female and mixed teams). The team deadline is January 31st, and online registration closes February 11th.
For more information and to register for the event, go to http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/races/stevecullenrun.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa West Orchestra Students Honored
- MCW researcher to study gene therapies for hemophilia
- Individuals Encouraged to Join Playworks Wisconsin 4th Annual Corporate Kickball Tournament
- Guitar Workshop Series Offered at White House of Music, Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Youth Commission helps Kyle's Corners
- Adolescent patients needed for study on pain
- Care and quality of life for older, rural HIV-positive adults
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You