Brookfield, Wis. – Gyms and fitness centers fill up in the early months each year, as new workout warriors seek to honor New Year’s resolutions to lose weight and improve their health.
Many see lots of equipment at their new facility, and incorrectly conclude that endless cardio leads to fitness. Sadly, great intentions often end in dashed dreams and unused memberships.
Consumers should do their homework before starting any fitness regimen, including joining a gym or other fitness program, said Jeremy Belter, owner of Fitness Revolution Brookfield.
“Data shows that many gym subscribers will not even use their memberships,” Belter said (http://www.statisticbrain.com/gym-membership-statistics/). “Keep in mind that most gyms make money on the number of memberships they sell, not on members’ results or participation in programs.”
Many fitness centers rely on customers not showing up long term, said Belter, an industry veteran of more than 10 years and 15,000 training sessions. Customers hang onto memberships, believing they’ll return. Often the monthly cost is just low enough to justify it.
“Finding a fitness center that works best is all about asking the right questions,” Belter said.
He listed several that anyone considering a gym membership should ask:
• What are my goals, and what will it really take to achieve them?
• Does the gym have testimonials, including “before” and “after” pictures?
• Do I want or need guided training with a fitness professional? What is the extra cost?
• How can I be held accountable for my progress?
People can lose interest in gyms fast, especially if their goals are not quickly achieved. Some are injured by early over-exertion. Workouts get boring. A favorite personal trainer leaves.
A trainer turnover rate up to 80 to 90 percent is not uncommon, Belter said (http://blog.gyminsight.com/2013/02/part-v-which-is-better-personal-trainers-turnover/ ). Consequently, customers suffer. Continuity with a trainer or team of trainers is critical to achieving goals.
Located at 675 N. Brookfield Road, Fitness Revolution Brookfield offers a complete, guaranteed indoor fitness program where participants speed up their metabolism, shed fat and improve overall physical performance. Its program helps clients get stronger and healthier using 20- to 30-minute sessions, along with nutrition options and education about metabolism.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: December schedule
- Appliance Gallery Suggests Holiday Appliance Ideas
- Tosa West Orchestra Kindekonzert Sat. Dec. 5th
- Allume Architects celebrates move to Elm Grove with ribbon-cutting and open house
- Lutheran A Cappella Choir Christmas Concert
- Acacia Ushers in Christmas with Wauwatosa Actor in Humorous “Fish Eyes”
- “Shop Savvy” on Cyber Monday - and Every Day
- MCW, Dr. Doug Evans and Elizabeth Krzywda, win BizTimes 2015 Health Care Hero Awards
- ‘Black Friday’ Vehicle Purchase at Russ Darrow Includes Packer Player Collector Canvas
- Christmas at the Horse