- The City of Waukesha Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department announces the 29th annual Waukesha JanBoree will take place Fri., Jan. 17 through Sun, Jan. 19, 2014. The three-day festival, occurring throughout Waukesha County, offers 35 winter activities, both indoors and out, for adults and children alike. Most events are free. The theme for this year’s JanBoree is “Let the Games Begin.”
“We’re really excited about this year’s JanBoree,” said Joanna Adamicki, City of Waukesha Parks, Recreation & Forestry Special Events Coordinator. “We’re partnering with over 20 community organizations to offer more than 30 free activities during the weekend. Many of the events are of Olympic proportion.”
The JanBoree will kick off with the opening ceremony on Fri., Jan. 17 turning Lowell Park, 2201 Michigan Ave., into an Olympic Village. Free rides down the 350 ft. lighted toboggan run affectionately renamed the “bobsled”, an ice sculpting demo where world class carvers will turn more than 1,200 pounds of ice into the Olympic torch, curling instruction, luge style sledding, and a lighted half mile trail are only some of the activities. Children can create a “flag of the world” and try all of the activities to earn their medal. Join TODAY’S TMJ4 Chief Meteorologist John Malan beginning at 3:00 p.m. as he makes his way to all of the activities and broadcasts live from Lowell Park. Events will culminate with fireworks at 8:00 p.m. in the park.
Throughout JanBoree weekend, “Let the Games Begin” events prevail with fun happenings such as the “Defy Gravity Olympic Showcase” on Fri. at Waukesha North High School, “Outrageous Olympics” at the Waukesha County Museum and a Hockey Expo at Lowell Park on Sat. The Barnelopet, a children’s cross country ski race takes place on Sun. at Minooka Park and there will be a showing of the inspiring movie “Miracle” based on the true story of the U.S. Olympic Hockey Team also on Sun., Jan. 19.
Waukesha JanBoree is Wisconsin’s premiere winter festival and is produced by the City of Waukesha Parks, Recreation & Forestry Dept. along with many community partners.
For a full schedule of events log on to the JanBoree website at www.JanBoree.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What statement will people REALLY be making on Denim Day, April 23?
- CYP Waukesha Hosts “Conservative Media Night” Networking Event
- Upcoming Sunset Playhouse Musical MainStage Concert features Elm Grove Resident
- Support the Arts at Spring Westside Artwalk
- MCW’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment awards $158,000 to combat sex trafficking among youth
- St. Francis All Abilities Playground Craft/Vendor Fair
- Brookfield Ameriprise Advisors Achieve Status as NABCAP Premier Advisors
- COMEDY, COMEDY, AND MO’ COMEDY!
- Learn about Compost on Earth Day at Brew City Gardens
- Free Drum Clinic with The Common Thread Clinic Tour, Tuesday, April 22