Local, national, and international experts will raise awareness of Milwaukee-based and global partnerships and initiatives during the Medical College of Wisconsin’s (MCW) third annual Global Health Week, which runs December 2-6, 2013.
Some of the topics to be addressed include the global burden of injury, HIV prevention research and practice, bringing clinical genomics to international sites, and building sustainable partnerships in various sectors of health care.
Captain of the Public Health Service, Martin Cetron, MD, is making a special visit to MCW for the event. Dr. Cetron, who is the Centers for Disease Control’s Director of Global Migration and Quarantine, will conduct pediatric grand rounds Friday morning at 8:30 in the Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin auditorium. The title of the presentation is, “BioMosaic Demography Migration and Health in a Globalized World,” and it is open to the public. Dr. Cetron will also discuss emerging infectious diseases in a separate talk at MCW on Thursday afternoon at 1:00.
Events across the campus are planned to increase the visibility of global health activities and partnerships at MCW, as well as raise awareness of local and international partnerships that address health inequities. Currently, MCW has global health affiliation agreements in 13 countries, some of which include South Africa, Ecuador, Israel, Turkey, Slovak Republic, and Philippines.
“Global Health Week is an opportunity to co-promote the diverse communities our faculty, staff, and partners are serving to advance health from neighborhoods to nations,” said Stephen Hargarten, MD, MPH, chairman and professor of emergency medicine and associate dean for global health.
MCW’s vision for its global health program is to train the next generation of global health leaders and address local and global health inequities across neighborhoods and nations.
For more information about the speakers and activities scheduled during Global Health Week, visit the global health website http://www.mcw.edu/globalhealthprogram/Global-Health-Week/Global-Health-Launch-Week0Copy.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Callen Receives 2015 Pulse of the City Customer Service Award
- MCW to host renowned nutrition expert at heart health conference
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents Bluemound Road Building Boom – From Barker to Moorland
- Time to Brush Up
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) to host Preparing Future Generations for Career Readiness
- Metallurgical Associates Announces New/Old Ownership
- Black Lives Matter: Racial Disparity and the Criminal Justice System
- Milwaukee NARI Foundation Announces 2016 Spring Semester Scholarship Recipients
- Wauwatosa West Dance Team wins Regionals