Two scientists from the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) are taking their research on the road for Physiology Understanding (PhUn) Week. The scientists will spend a day with fourth grade students at Honey Creek School in Milwaukee, teaching them about DNA, proteins and health.
This is the second year that Diane Munzenmaier, PhD, assistant professor of physiology; and Duska J. Sidjanin, PhD, associate professor of cell biology, neurobiology and anatomy, have participated in PhUn Week.
Students in the classroom will learn about DNA, the building blocks of life, and will then get hands-on experience making models of DNA. Then in spring, the students will visit MCW to learn how to isolate their own DNA in a lab setting, and to learn about genomic sequencing and protein mass spectrometry.
“Bringing the students to MCW for a real laboratory experience helps demystify science and definitely sparks their interest. The program gives students a chance to meet and learn from research scientists, learn about science in their daily lives, and explore physiology as a possible career,” said Dr. Munzenmaier, who is also the director of education for the Human and Molecular Genetics Center at MCW.
PhUn Week is the annual K-12 outreach program coordinated by the American Physiological Society. Last year, more than 500 scientists and 10,000 students in the U.S. and Puerto Rico participated in the event.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blaze Fast-Fire’d Pizza Celebrates “Pi Day” with $3.14 Pizzas on Friday, March 14
- Wauwatosa Recreation and Summer School New Registration Procedures
- Milwaukee Montessori School Welcomes Catherine Brys as Director of Child Care Program
- BELLWETHER’S PRIVATE LOAN FUNDING
- Holiday Food Drive For Hunger Task Force to be Featured in St. Patrick’s Day Parades
- CigarMKE SPRING FLING EVENT - FEBRUARY 21ST
- Free Sound Reinforcement & Live Sound Classes
- Historian John Gurda To Speak at Elm Grove Playhouse
- Announcing the Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen for 2013: Maureen Connors Badding
- McKinley Lodge Fish Fry