Laura Tisch, a fourth-year medical student at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), has been named the recipient of the 2013 Walter Zeit Fellowship Leadership Award. This prestigious award is presented to the senior student who has consistently displayed superior qualities of leadership, loyalty, selfless service, initiative and compassion toward his or her peers and the Medical College. It is the highest student honor bestowed by the Walter Zeit Fellowship, MCW’s premier donor recognition society.
Tisch was born in Clarendon Hills, Ill., and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree at Boston University, where she majored in French language and literature and minored in public relations. While an undergraduate, she was involved in service and volunteer activities, and has continued those activities while in medical school.
Tisch volunteered at the Saturday Clinic for the Uninsured her first two years at MCW. She also served on the orientation committee for entering students and was a tutor for the U.S. Medical Licensing Step 1 Board Review program. She has been a member of the MCW student assembly for four years, leading several committees and serving for one year as the assembly vice president.
In spring 2013, she was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), the national honor medical society, where she quickly distinguished herself. She was recently elected to a three-year student directorship on the AOA national board of directors. Tisch is one of only four student members in the United States to be selected for that honor.
“Laura Tisch is an exceptional student who exemplifies the qualities we seek in a student and in a physician. Her leadership and initiative have been recognized by her peers, the faculty, and now by a national organization,” said John R. Raymond, Sr., MD, President and CEO of the Medical College. “
Tisch has served as a member of the Obstetrics/Gynecology Interest Group, the Dermatology Interest Group, and the Pediatrics Interest Group, and has declared a specialty interest in dermatology.
The Walter Zeit Fellowship was founded in 1980 by Derward Lepley, Jr., MD, a 1949 alumnus who also served as a distinguished member of the College’s faculty.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Catholic Singles Memorial Day Picnic
- Milwaukee/NARI Tour Of Remodeled Homes Partners With The Salvation Army of Milwaukee County
- Knapp Chiropractic raises money for Safe Babies Healthy Families at third anniversary event
- FREE to the Public - Outdoor Workouts at Anytime Falls
- Lutheran Home Hires Wolkomir as Social Services Director
- Wauwatosa East's first EcoFair
- Director of NIH National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to visit MCW
- Imaging the windows to the soul: eye researchers pursue “audacious” goal
- Two Delafield Homes on 16th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes
- 16th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes to Feature Three Wauwatosa Area Projects