The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) has received a four-year, $1.3 million grant from the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases to study actions of protein called endothelin-1 (ET-1) in the progression of glomerular kidney diseases.
Andrey Sorokin, PhD, professor of medicine (nephrology) at MCW, is the primary investigator of the grant.
Dr. Sorokin will study the molecular causes of glomerulosclerosis, which occurs when the mesangial cells (located around the tiny blood vessels inside the glomerulus) are not functioning normally. Earlier work by Dr. Sorokin’s team identified a novel signaling pathway regulated by ET-1, the protein which plays an essential role in this type of kidney disease. When ET-1 production increases, the mesangial cells become dysfunctional, causing decrease in renal function, and, often, kidney failure.
In this project, Dr. Sorokin’s team will study the signaling pathways that lead to the dysfunction of mesangial cells using unique genetically engineered rat strains.
Understanding the mechanisms of ET-1 induced renal diseases will broaden our overall understanding of kidney function; this study will provide valuable information that could lead to development of potential therapeutic targets.
This project is supported by the National Institutes of Health under award number: 1R01DK098159-01A1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blaze Fast-Fire’d Pizza Celebrates “Pi Day” with $3.14 Pizzas on Friday, March 14
- Wauwatosa Recreation and Summer School New Registration Procedures
- Milwaukee Montessori School Welcomes Catherine Brys as Director of Child Care Program
- BELLWETHER’S PRIVATE LOAN FUNDING
- Holiday Food Drive For Hunger Task Force to be Featured in St. Patrick’s Day Parades
- CigarMKE SPRING FLING EVENT - FEBRUARY 21ST
- Free Sound Reinforcement & Live Sound Classes
- Historian John Gurda To Speak at Elm Grove Playhouse
- Announcing the Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen for 2013: Maureen Connors Badding
- McKinley Lodge Fish Fry