Bel Canto Chorus (Richard Hynson, Music Director), in collaboration with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, presents Maurice Duruflé’s Requiem and Francis Poulenc’s Gloria on Saturday, October 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM at Christ King Parish.
Bel Canto Chorus opens its 2013-2014 season with Maurice Duruflé’s mystical Requiem and Francis Poulenc’s jubilant, jazzy Gloria. Bel Canto Music Director Richard Hynson will lead the chorus and the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, in this concert inspired by the chorus’ recent tour to France.
Guest artists Kevin Bailey (organ), Gerard Sundberg (baritone), and Nicole Warner (mezzo-soprano) join the chorus and orchestra in Duruflé’s Requiem. Rebecca Whitney (soprano) is the soloist for Poulenc’s Gloria.
“This season, titled ‘Works with Friends,’ describes the thread of collaboration that runs throughout,” said Hynson. “Each concert will feature an exciting performance with another area ensemble. We’re delighted to have the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra on stage with us for our opening concert.”
In the singular style of twentieth-century French sacred music, organist and composer Marice Duruflé’s Requiem uses rich, contemporary harmonies to enhance the ancient melodies of Gregorian chant. American jazz and the cabaret style of popular music imbue Francis Poulenc’s Gloria. His Gallic, populist compositional style brings the words to vivid, playful life.
Tickets are $25 - $33 and are available at the Box Office (414) 481-8801, or online at www.belcanto.org. Senior, student, and group discounts are available.
This concert is presented in part with support from the United Performing Arts Fund (UPAF); the Bradley Foundation; the Herzfeld Foundation; the Milwaukee County Arts Board; and the Wisconsin Arts Board with funds from the State of Wisconsin and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MFHS Student Art on Display at District Business Office
- "WEIRD ANIMALS" Come to Vacation Bible School
- Milwaukee/NARI Shares Tips For Outdoor Living Spaces
- Kathy's House Classic Golf Outing Planned
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night
- Researchers to explore new treatments for pancreatic cancer
- Milwaukee’s Archbishop Conducts Mass at Harwood Place
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers Seven Tips for Spending Wisely on a Home Remodel - Part 2
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers Seven Tips for Spending Wisely on a Home Remodel - Part 1
- Boatshed Lake Michigan Sponsors SUPA athletes support boat to cross Lake Michigan