Author's Note: This entry is the first in a series called, This Week in Tosa History. Excerpts are from The Wauwatosa News Oct. 25, 1912 edition, courtesy of The Wauwatosa Historical Society. Excerpts are exactly as written on this date.
• Autumn may not be here, but your attention has been called several times, no doubt not, to the fact that brown and flaxy objects resembling autumn leaves have been falling on your lawn for at least two weeks.
• At this season while you are hauling the crop to market, is a good time for you to reflect on the advantages of good roads, and how much time and money are lost by poor ones.
• The year 1912 is likely to go down in history as a year in which business refused to be scared by a national political campaign.
• Every time we buy one dollar’s worth of foreign made goods, we forever bid goodbye to one good, sound American dollar.
• In the way the roadway has been raised in front and along side of Chas. Fisher’s residence on North Avenue it looks as though he would be drowned out, at least it will leave a pool in his front yard which we do not think he will stand without a big kick.
• It will cost the County of Milwaukee $200 for the examination of the unused cartridges and empty shells in the revolver taken from John Shrank, held for the attempted murder of Theodore Roosevelt. A bill for that amount has been presented. Quite enough we should judge.
• FOR SALE – At big bargain, 20 acres of choice level land suitable for farming or market gardening on Wauwatosa Avenue 2 blocks north of Lisbon, and less than one mile from car line. For particulars, apply to J. O. Marten, 372 Second Avenue.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Concordia University to host community thought leaders series
- Callen Earns Esteemed 2015 Angie’s List Super Service Award
- CigarMKE - Know Your Leaf
- R.A. Smith National’s Mike Bach Promoted to Project Manager
- White House of Music Launches Non-Profit Foundation
- MCW researchers discover ancient cellular mutation leading to multi-celled organisms
- Break Out of the Winter Blues – and Heat Things Up – at Valentine’s Day!
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Callen Receives 2015 Pulse of the City Customer Service Award
- MCW to host renowned nutrition expert at heart health conference