Most people know it’s breast cancer awareness month, but doctors also want to spread the word about an even bigger killer of women as well as men.
What you may not know is October is also Sudden Cardiac Awareness Month; and if you’re like 65 percent of Americans, you also may not know the difference between a heart attack and sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) — the leading cause of death in the U.S.
Think of your heart like a house. A heart attack is a plumbing problem with blood flow, but sudden cardiac arrest is like instantly losing power to your whole house.
Receiving immediate defibrillation or receiving immediate CPR are the only two things that we know can save somebody’s life.
Health care providers and emergency responders all agree that the best thing you can do as a potential cardiac arrest bystander is to learn CPR and know where the nearest emergency defibrillator (AED) is located. If you are a business owner, or work for a business, it is in your best interest to develop a cardiac emergency plan, which includes response duties, install AED's and have your employees trained in CPR. Combining CPR with early shocking of the heart significantly increases the chance of survival.
Cardio-Start is a local Milwaukee business that is dedicated to providing cardiac emergency planning, products, and services to all industries and facilities. Call (414) 418-7760 today to learn more about SCA and what you can do to prepare your facility.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blaze Fast-Fire’d Pizza Celebrates “Pi Day” with $3.14 Pizzas on Friday, March 14
- Wauwatosa Recreation and Summer School New Registration Procedures
- Milwaukee Montessori School Welcomes Catherine Brys as Director of Child Care Program
- BELLWETHER’S PRIVATE LOAN FUNDING
- Holiday Food Drive For Hunger Task Force to be Featured in St. Patrick’s Day Parades
- CigarMKE SPRING FLING EVENT - FEBRUARY 21ST
- Free Sound Reinforcement & Live Sound Classes
- Historian John Gurda To Speak at Elm Grove Playhouse
- Announcing the Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen for 2013: Maureen Connors Badding
- McKinley Lodge Fish Fry