The guitar is a portable instrument that can be sized down for students to play successfully in an elementary setting. With this in mind, McKinley Elementary music teacher, Susan Merriman, was awarded a $5,865.00 Education Foundation of Wauwatosa (EFW) grant to purchase guitars. Playing the guitar gives students a hands-on opportunity to learn music in a group situation. It reinforces learning in three ways: sight, seeing the strings and music; sound, hearing the guitar and their voices; and touch, feeling their fingers move along and across the strings of the instrument. The guitars will fulfill an important component of elementary music education by exposing students to yet another instrument that they may not otherwise have an opportunity to play.
For more information on the EFW and the other 12 grants for the 2013-2014 school year go to www.tosaefw.org
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dr. Matthew Hunsaker Named Campus Dean for Medical College of Wisconsin–Green Bay
- Milwaukee Citywide Food Drive is a Huge Success
- Holy Apostles Fish Fry
- Foti Chiropractic Sending Make-A-Wish Recipient to Hawaii in December
- Danceworks Youth Performance Company (DYPC) in GINGERBREAD EXPRESS
- Milwaukee Tradition Continues: BMO Harris Bank Display Opens December 2
- Western Union and Better Business Bureau Warn of Charity Scams During Giving Season
- Milwaukee/NARI: Bathroom Remodeling Trends Address Style and Function
- MECA's Angels for Animals
- Free Admission to Christmas Silver Tea & Christmas Cookie Sale