Researchers at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) are co-recipients of a five-year, $5.4 million NIH Director’s Transformative Research Award to investigate new strategies to minimize cardiac and neurologic injury after cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
Demetris Yannopoulos, MD, associate professor of cardiology at the University of Minnesota, is the primary investigator of the grant.
Matthias Riess, MD, PhD, associate professor of anesthesiology and physiology; Tom P. Aufderheide, MD, professor of emergency medicine; and Martin Bienengraeber, PhD, associate professor of anesthesiology, pharmacology and toxicology at MCW; are co-investigators.
Surviving cardiac arrest with normal cardiac and neurological function is rare. One of the reasons is reperfusion injury, which occurs when blood supply returns to the heart and brain after being deprived of oxygen.
In this multi-disciplinary, translational project, the collaborative team will implement novel reperfusion injury protection strategies in cardiac arrest, investigating basic science mechanisms, animal model outcomes, and application in humans. Pilot data demonstrates significant potential to improve neurologically functional survival after cardiac arrest.
This multi-institutional project also includes researchers from the University of Michigan.
The NIH Director’s Transformative Research Awards program, established in 2009, promotes cross-cutting, interdisciplinary approaches and is open to individuals and teams of investigators who propose research that has the potential to create or overturn fundamental paradigms.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dean Antczak Joins LifeWise Ingredients
- Master Singers Bring the Joy of the Season
- Accelerated Sports Medicine and "Toys for Tots" Holiday Open House
- 2014 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show Scheduled
- Callen Construction Announces 6th Annual “Refashion for Life” Proceeds
- Jason Kofroth Announces Candidacy for Wauwatosa's 7th District Aldermanic Seat
- Don’t Get A Holiday Dish Served Cold – Hire The Right Catering Service
- Christopher Noble, of Wauwatosa, Joins R.A. Smith National as Controller
- Dr. Matthew Hunsaker Named Campus Dean for Medical College of Wisconsin–Green Bay
- Milwaukee Citywide Food Drive is a Huge Success