October 6th Event Benefits Community Outreach and Education Programs for Parkinson’s Disease
The fifth annual Moving Forward: Ride/Walk for Parkinson’s disease will be held Sunday, October 6, in Dousman, Wis. Proceeds from this annual fundraiser benefit programs through the Parkinson’s and Movement Disorder Program at Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin, and the American Parkinson Disease Association Wisconsin Chapter. Those programs benefit both patients and families with education and support, community exercise programs and research.
Registration includes the ride or walk, lunch, kids’ fun area, a silent auction, a raffle and Moving Forward T-shirt. Bicyclists choose a 30-mile ride or a 10-mile ride. Walkers choose among three walks ranging from one mile to a 5K.
An estimated 1.5 million people in the United States are living with Parkinson’s disease. Dedicated to improving the quality of life for people facing the challenge of Parkinson’s, Froedtert & the Medical College offers the region’s broadest range of care options for patients with Parkinson’s and their families. Fellowship-trained, Parkinson’s-specialized physicians have decades of experience and perform leading-edge research to develop new approaches to care. Froedtert & the Medical College is among a handful of centers nationwide to offer deep brain stimulation (DBS) which provides relief from debilitating symptoms of Parkinson’s.
The American Parkinson’s Disease Association in southeastern Wisconsin offers innovative programs including respite, rowing, boxing, zumba, and “Engage.”
Moving Forward is held at Cory Park, 140 S. Main St., Dousman, Wis. 53118, located south of I-94 and Delafield Rd. in the Kettle Moraine State Forest. Registration for cyclists is $45, for individual walkers $20 and for a family of walkers $40. To register, visit. http://adpaparkinson.donordrive.com/event/MovingForward2013.
Maps, volunteer, team and sponsor information, start times and an opportunity to donate are also on the site. You may also call Laura Kurth at Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin Neurosciences Center at 414-805-5223.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents former Navy SEAL, Jeff Boss, leadership coach specializing in adaptability