Catharine Malmsten, MD, assistant professor of medicine (cardiovascular medicine) at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), was named a “Top Healthcare Professional Under 40” at the National Medical Association’s (NMA) annual conference. Dr. Malmsten is one of 40 physicians nationwide to receive this honor.
Dr. Malmsten, who also serves as the assistant director of Cardiovascular Inpatient Services at Froedtert Hospital, joined the MCW faculty in 2010.
Prior to joining the faculty, Dr. Malmsten conducted a cardiology fellowship at the Medical College, during which she served as chair of the Underrepresented in Medicine Housestaff Committee.
“Being a cardiologist, as a woman of color, is rare, and I am proud to be a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, and to serve my patients,” she said.
Dr. Malmsten completed her residency in general internal medicine at the University of California at Davis in Sacramento, Calif., in 2007. She received her medical degree from the University of California at San Francisco in 2003, and completed a bachelor of arts degree in anthropology at the University of California-Berkeley in 1999.
The NMA promotes the collective interests of physicians and patients of African descent. Its missions are to advance the art and science of medicine for people of African descent through education, advocacy, and health policy to promote health and wellness, to eliminate health disparities, and sustain physician viability.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips For Last-Minute Home Winterization
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Free Jumping at Sky Zone with Food Donation
- Researcher to investigate effective health information technology implementation
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation
- BBB Balances 2014 Trends with Tips for Smart Holiday Shoppers
- 125 Volunteers Needed at Special Olympics Wisconsin State Bowling and Volleyball Tourney
- Holiday Folk Fair International Offers Ticket Discounts to Support Salvation Army
- MCW researchers to investigate biological factors of post-traumatic stress disorder