The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) has received a three-year, $900,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration to establish a research center to study and improve pediatric prehospital emergency care.
E. Brooke Lerner, PhD, professor of emergency medicine and pediatrics and the Deputy Director of the Injury Research Center at MCW is the primary investigator of this multi-departmental/institutional grant, and will lead this collaborative effort.
Prehospital emergency medical services (EMS) is a fairly young medical specialty, and there is limited research about optimization of care prior to hospital arrival, particularly for critically ill and injured pediatric patients. Because children represent a minority of EMS patients and few receive advanced interventions, a multi-institutional research network is necessary to provide the amount of data necessary to conduct meaningful research that would lead to outcome-based recommendations.
In this project, Dr. Lerner will lead efforts to develop an EMS Research Node Center that will work in cooperation with the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN) to conduct innovative and significant pre-hospital based pediatric research.
EMS affiliates who will participate include the Houston Fire Department, Mecklenburg EMS in North Carolina, and Milwaukee County EMS. The affiliates cover a defined geographic region, and they collectively serve a 1,365 square mile area with nearly four million citizens, 30% of whom are children. The researchers have recruited local experts in pediatric emergency medicine and EMS research, as well as field providers, all of whom will work as a team to design relevant and feasible pediatric EMS research.
Collaborators at MCW include Lorin Browne, DO, assistant professor of pediatric emergency medicine, who will serve as the Milwaukee County EMS Affiliates site principal investigator; and David Brousseau, MD, MS, professor of pediatrics, academic advisor of the study and PECARN Liaison.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dean Antczak Joins LifeWise Ingredients
- Master Singers Bring the Joy of the Season
- Accelerated Sports Medicine and "Toys for Tots" Holiday Open House
- 2014 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show Scheduled
- Callen Construction Announces 6th Annual “Refashion for Life” Proceeds
- Jason Kofroth Announces Candidacy for Wauwatosa's 7th District Aldermanic Seat
- Don’t Get A Holiday Dish Served Cold – Hire The Right Catering Service
- Christopher Noble, of Wauwatosa, Joins R.A. Smith National as Controller
- Dr. Matthew Hunsaker Named Campus Dean for Medical College of Wisconsin–Green Bay
- Milwaukee Citywide Food Drive is a Huge Success