The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) has received a five year, $1.5 million grant from the National Institutes of Health’s National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to support integrated research training in physiology.
Hubert V. Forster, PhD, professor of physiology, is the primary investigator of the grant, which has been continuously funded for 20 years.
Over the last 20 years, training in physiology departments throughout the country has undergone a transformation that precludes students from a thorough understanding that spans the breadth of the discipline from the whole animal to the cellular and molecular level. However, MCW’s physiology department emphasizes integration of knowledge at all of those levels. That training has been recognized with NIH support since 1998. With this grant, MCW will fund six trainees each year; the program includes a mentoring component that bridges the span from basic scientist to clinician.
Graduate students will be recruited nationally and selected on the basis of undergraduate academic credentials, research experience, and commitment to a career in research and training. Trainees are full-time PhD candidates in the MCW Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
The major objective is to provide trainees with a broad foundation in interdisciplinary basic science and translational research. The program will train biomedical scientists to conduct research and educate medical professionals leading to the discovery and communication of information required for the prevention and management of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- McKinley Lodge hosts "World Famous Fish Fry"