More than 1,400 people from across Southeast Wisconsin will be donning hairnets and a caring heart to stand side by side during a meal packing blitz September 18 – September 21. The volunteers will pack more than 296,000 nutritionally rich meals consisting of rice, soy, vitamins and dehydrated vegetables at Brookfield Lutheran Church. That’s enough to fill an entire transport container of food for children in Nicaragua. This is the fifth year that the congregation has hosted a packing site for Feed My Starving Children, a non-profit Christian organization based in Minneapolis, MN.
Over $65,000 is being raised by an organizing committee which makes it possible to host this event locally. Volunteers are coming from local businesses, schools, organizations and congregations. Each volunteer commits to a two-hour shift helping scoop ingredients, weigh packages, seal bags and box the rice-based meals. Robert Mrosko, pastor at Brookfield Lutheran, remarks, “My first exposure to Feed My Starving Children absolutely amazed me! Since then I’ve been blessed to participate in numerous packing events. Twenty-two cents for a meal; five year old children and 95 year old adults working side by side; a few simple ingredients; a lot of fun and much prayer turns into thousands of meals for children across the world. It just confirms that God can and does use the smallest things to do great things!”
Feed My Starving Children developed a food mixture that would be easy and safe to transport, simple to make with only boiling water and culturally acceptable worldwide. The meals are distributed in over 55 countries around the world. The Brookfield Lutheran container is scheduled to be distributed by ORPHANetwork in Nicaragua.
For more information or to register as a volunteer, please visit:
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Callen Receives 2015 Pulse of the City Customer Service Award
- MCW to host renowned nutrition expert at heart health conference
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents Bluemound Road Building Boom – From Barker to Moorland
- Time to Brush Up
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) to host Preparing Future Generations for Career Readiness
- Metallurgical Associates Announces New/Old Ownership
- Black Lives Matter: Racial Disparity and the Criminal Justice System
- Milwaukee NARI Foundation Announces 2016 Spring Semester Scholarship Recipients
- Wauwatosa West Dance Team wins Regionals
- Bartelt Wins 2016 Regional Contractor of the Year (CotY) Award